• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Late model valve cover/gasket/grommets on a RENIX

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Any one done it? I searched and nothing. I know that I don't have the "studs" that help align the newer style gasket (metal and rubber) so is there a way around this. I'm tired of the replacing the cork gaskets and its leaking again with only 12k on it.

I have one of the Crown Automotive aluminum covers for a 96 that I want to run and i have the CCV figured out, just want to use the better style gasket.

xjtrailrider said:
Any one done it? I searched and nothing. I know that I don't have the "studs" that help align the newer style gasket (metal and rubber) so is there a way around this. I'm tired of the replacing the cork gaskets and its leaking again with only 12k on it.

I have one of the Crown Automotive aluminum covers for a 96 that I want to run and i have the CCV figured out, just want to use the better style gasket.
I have put the stamped steel 96+ valve cover on 3 Renix 4.0s now. Here's a picture of one...

OpenSystem1.jpg

You can use it along with the composite gasket, the only difference, like you said is that you don't have the alignment studs. Its still not hard to get it lined up, just take your time. If you don't want to go that route, Fel-Pro makes a much better gasket for the older XJs that they didn't use to. It's like $40.00 but from what I've read is worth every penny. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
-Collin

makkman said:
that pic looks like some master... ahem... afro-engineering for your coolant purge tank. I love it!
Haha let me just put it this way...that was absolutely, 100%...temporary. I feel ashamed to even have that picture still but that Jeep is gone now so I couldn't take a new one.

Is that why it was temporay, cuz the jeep is gone?

looks that way

friscokidd said:
So what your saying is that the valve cover from a 96+ will fit on a 90 renix?

Yep, no difference in the heads valve cover bolt pattern for all 4.0L. My concern is using the composite gasket with my new valve cover. I'm tired of the leak.

Thanks for the info, I'll be doing this swap soon and getting rid of the issue for a while at least.

I got around to doing this today. It its easy to do and I was able to get rid of a bunch of vac lines. I'm going to detail the engine bay tomorrow but the engine only has 12k on it so its clean. This is my daily driver and I don't wheel it any, I have 2 trail rigs for that. This XJ is used for towing my bass boat and hauling the kids around. Here are some pics.

The XJ, my Dad's old 90' that I have done a complete resto-mod on.
P1010509.jpg

The new valve cover and CCV. I have the new style gasket under the cover as well.
P1010505.jpg

The intake tube, I have no idea what brand it is but it works perfect for the RENIX
P1010506.jpg

I painted the relay center cover with some red Fusion. I also have the Firepower Ignition wires and a new coil
P1010507.jpg

Just another look at the whole set-up. Note that I have lowered the coolant bottle about 2" so it no longer hits the hood with the cap.
P1010508.jpg

I didn't know they weren't supposed to fit. My long time buddy at a local offroad shop sold me the late model gasket, I used rtv on both sides, was carefull putting it on & cured my oil leak. Why use the crappy steel later valve cover? I like the aluminum cover better & even thought about using one on my 95.

cherokee chuck said:
I didn't know they weren't supposed to fit. My long time buddy at a local offroad shop sold me the late model gasket, I used rtv on both sides, was carefull putting it on & cured my oil leak. Why use the crappy steel later valve cover? I like the aluminum cover better & even thought about using one on my 95.

Thats what I did, I went with the aftermarket aluminum cover that I had laying around. it was for the 94-01 4.0

My concern was getting the gasket to center correctly without the alignment pins on top of the head bolts. Actually the gasket stays centered by the valve cover bolts and head bolts and works out well. I also used this as a opertunity to remove the 2 piece RENIX vacuum hose harness. I still have the old RENIX cover, I'm putting it up for later use.

For those of you that don't want to upgrade your valve cover. you can remove the aluminum one and clean it real well. Now would also be a good time to chop the stacks and keep them from sucking oil. After it's cleaned get the real good axle RTV from mopar, it's orange, and run a very healthy bead around the cover. Let it sit for as long as possible, a few hours won't cut it, it needs to dry. After it's dry go over it with a razor blade, trim the high spots, and trim the bolt holes. Then install it on the car. It will last for a very long time. I used to keep extra covers lying around for friends just so they could fix there leak.

DSC03768.jpg

DSC03767.jpg

Little off topic.........so by chopping the "stacks", it will reduce the amount of oil/oil vapor sucked out of the cover and into my air box? My 88 4.0 dosent burn oil, but it sucks about 1 quart a month thru the that damn hose and dumps it onto the air filter. Had the compression checked thinking it was bad rings creating too much crank case pressure, but it checked out with good compression across all six cylinders. This could explain why its sucking so much :)

The story is that the stacks sits in an oil puddle and suck up oil. However if you look at the stacks you will find a hole at the top that's suposed to suck vapor only. I don't know if it actually does anything by cutting them, but I have done it, just to do it. My old 89 never bunned oil either, but the filter got a little oily. The 89 I have now the filter stays dry. Both of these have had the stacks cut.

Justin

xjjeeper19 said:
The story is that the stacks sits in an oil puddle and suck up oil. However if you look at the stacks you will find a hole at the top that's suposed to suck vapor only. I don't know if it actually does anything by cutting them, but I have done it, just to do it. My old 89 never bunned oil either, but the filter got a little oily. The 89 I have now the filter stays dry. Both of these have had the stacks cut.

Justin

The late model valve covers do not have the stacks, they just have a baffle that runs full length of the cover. The stacks were a bad idea IMHO. Cutting them makes sense.

Thanks for the info, was pulling my hair out tryin to figure out what the deal was.........crappy thing is i just spent $50 for the fel pro blue o-ring style valve cover gasket, and covered it with aviation form-a-gasket when i put it in about two weeks ago.......so now i get to decide if i pull it to chop the stacks, even though it dosent leak now, and spend another $50 on a new gasket, or leave the vavle cover be and deal with the oil on the air filter :)

Don't pull the cover and ruin the new gasket, just clean or replace the small diameter tube that comes from the rear of the valve cover to the intake. This is plugged. That is where the vacuum is supposed to pull the CC vapors. The intake of filtered air comes through the large hose at the front of the valve cover. When the small hose gets plugged, the CC pressure will force the vapor out the large hose at the front and you end up with an oil soaked filter.

This has been covered here (mostly in OEM tech) many many times. NAPA sells all the replacement hoses for much less than the stealership. This is what I run on both my RENIXs. Do a search for "blowby" and you will find all you need to know about the subject.

What do you replace the renix vacuum set up with? I know its from a newer 4.0 but specifically, an XJ (i know the other 4.0's were similar but are they the same)? And what year has the new harness and could i use it with the original valve cover if i cleaned it and vut down the stacks and sealed it like xjjeeper did it? I have a stock 90 4.0, fyi.

What do you replace the renix vacuum set up with? I know its from a newer 4.0 but specifically, an XJ (i know the other 4.0's were similar but are they the same)? And what year has the new harness and could i use it with the original valve cover if i cleaned it and vut down the stacks and sealed it like xjjeeper did it? I have a stock 90 4.0, fyi.

I used a 96' XJ valve cover and CCV system. You will have to re-route the EGR circuit, Thermactor circuit. The fuel pressure regulator will stay in the same location.

Its a easy upgrade.

Looking to do the 96+ valve cover swap on my 93 xj. Hate the old podium style baffle system. Just wanted to triple check, I have to get a 96+ gasket for it due to the rubber grommet/medal plunger thingy (technical terms 😁) is that correct?

Back