• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88xj Missfire and Stall

jacobyj2

NAXJA Forum User
So this has happened three times now in the last few month. First my battery slowly drains, i've checked the main grounds and replaced the battery ground cable, no help. WHen the battery gets low enough i get a hard start, but it does start. Then at some point along that drive shit hits the fan. The battery power goes to practically nill. Lights barely work, stereo turns on and off, wipers get real sluggish ect... As this happens the jeep starts to misfire something terrible. This last time it would not fire at all, just made some awful noises when i gave it gas. After this happens and I stop i've got almost no battery power. I can try and start it and the engine turns over maybe once, then i get a clicking noise from the starter. If I jump it it starts but quickly turns to misfiring. When it does this it also begins sucking air really hard. really not sure whats going on. The jeep has a new distributor cap, plugs and wires are two years old, i just replaced the CPS and checked it's wiring which looks relatively good. Not sure where to go from here.

Back