• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scout dana 44 questions

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well i just got a dana 44 out of a scout to put in my xj. It doesn't have any brake hardware on it except for the drums and wheel cyliners. My question is whether i should replace everything and stay with the drums or upgrade to discs. What all would i need to swap over to discs? Is it stuff that i could find in the junkyard? Any help would be appreciated.

Also it has got the limited slip in with 3.31 gears. I am wanting to swap gears out for 4.56's but don't know if i should change the limited slip out for a locker or just keep it in there. The xj is pretty much just a trail rig with occational road time. Also i don't know if with it having limited slip if i turn one side forward the other side should turn the opposite way correct? Cause if i turn the wheels they both turn the same way.

Thanks,
Ben

Jeepguy91 said:
Well i just got a dana 44 out of a scout to put in my xj. It doesn't have any brake hardware on it except for the drums and wheel cyliners. My question is whether i should replace everything and stay with the drums or upgrade to discs. What all would i need to swap over to discs? Is it stuff that i could find in the junkyard? Any help would be appreciated.

Also it has got the limited slip in with 3.31 gears. I am wanting to swap gears out for 4.56's but don't know if i should change the limited slip out for a locker or just keep it in there. The xj is pretty much just a trail rig with occational road time. Also i don't know if with it having limited slip if i turn one side forward the other side should turn the opposite way correct? Cause if i turn the wheels they both turn the same way.

Thanks,
Ben
if you want 4.56, you will need to change the carrier, or use thick gears. the posi will keep both wheels turning in the same directions like you said at the end. if it is a trail only rig, I would go with more aggressive traction aid than just a LSD, like a true autolocker, selectable locker or spool. that all depends on how much you will drive it on the road.

as far as brakes, I would just go disk.

Do you know what all i would need to swap it over to discs? Is it stuff i could get from the junkyard?

There are a lot of aftermarket disc brake swaps for a Scout Dana 44. I used a Stainless Steel Brake Company kit on my Scout and I DO NOT recommend it. Way overpriced and a pain to get parts for.

Head on over to the www.binderbulletin.org
and search, there are plenty of different junkyard options.

If it's the original limited slip don't count on it holding up to much more than 33" tires, of course a Scout is a MUCH heavier rig so it might be just fine under an XJ. That's really a moot point though if you want to run 4.56's. You'll need to get a 3.94 and up carrier if you go that route.

Since you are already to the point of having to replace a lot of your brake parts, I would say just go the whole way and swap over to discs. I got a rear 44 from a Scout II as well. I swapped in the TSM rear disc conversion w/ the e-brake. They are just rear calipers from a '78 El Dorado, and I have had a great experience with them. Been running them for over a year now. Great if you need a rear disc setup w/ an e-brake if your state requires that.

I don't know of too many other Scout II dana 44 rear disc kits. Definitely look into it though. One thing you have to remember about the TSM kit is that you have to apply the e-brake as often as you can because that's how the calipers adjust, unlike your front calipers that self adjust.

As far as your gears go, sounds like your LSD is functional still. I also recommend upgrading to a lunchbox locker or other type of true locker, especially if your rig sees a lot of off-road time. I have 4.10 gears and an Aussie locker in my Scout 44. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Will have to check out the tsm kit. Was it very expensive? Am trying to do this on a budget but don't know what all i would need.

Back