• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 axle rebuild

Gordy

NAXJA Forum User
My LSD clutch plates in the rear axle are chattering when I pull off from roundabouts. I need a new rear diff. I have a few options but any advice is appreciated.

I live in England so good low mileage second hand axles are hard to come by, and new parts/labour are relatively expensive.

1) Get a second hand axle - but how do I know its not duff?

2) Replace the diff with a new stock Trac-Loc, bearings etc - costs about 800 UK pounds including labour - expensive but should last another 60000 miles trouble free.

3) Fit a Detroit True-Trac system - a bit more expensive though, but again shouble give me miles of trouble free motoring.

4) Replace the LSD clutch pack - but will this be a good long term solution as I have heard that the chattering can return after a few hundred miles.

5) Do I have any more options??

My objective to to get it fixed once and for all.

Thanks in advance, Gordy

if you are going to replace the tracloc, you will need a different carrier, if that comes in the form of a truetrac, that is fine, but you have other options

you could get a mechanical locker like a lockrite, detroit ez locker
or you can get selectable lockers like arb, ox and others

you are not limited in your options, just depends on what you want and what you want to accomplish.

If shipping wouldn't kill you I've got a carrier and lockrite already installed in a D35 I'm just sitting on. It's a non c-clip rear from an '89.

I've actually got a couple entire D35 spares I could send your way, but shipping would be prohibitive.

The best solution would be (IMHO) to replace the LSD with something less comlpicated, either open or locked. Lokrites are noisy but I've run them without trouble for several years, You have to learn to drive with it, but it isn't hard to do.

Good luck

Is it true that by driving the truck with worn LSD clutches, I have ruined the complete carrier as I may have worn the inside of the carrier where the clutches are situated. Or are these guy's trying to sell me a new carrier that I dont actually need. All I want is to get the axle performing as it should with no juddering/chattering, that will be good as a DD, and perform as good as the stock Track-Loc did overall.

Anyone use the True-Trac

Last edited:
You should just be able to replace the clutch packs. Might be worth inspecting the carrier next time you change your differential oil to be sure - but I've seen worn LSD clutches that hadn't cause any other trouble before. I see no reason why worn clutches would cause any damage to your carrier...

5-90

You can restore the Trac-Lok function by replacing the friction disks. My 2000 has 70,000 miles and the D35 Trac-Lok still works well. My 1896 CJ7 has 137,000 miles and the original AMC20 Trac-Lok is mostly worn out but will still engage somewhat. I use the CJ7 hard on offroad trips and have no troubles from the rear diff.

I think Powertrax makes a lunchbox or LockRight style locker that simply replaces the Trac-Lok disks and spider gears.

Detroit TrueTrac is a great LSD and will never wear out with proper maintenance

Last edited:
Appreciate the replys, After changing the oil again and adding two bottles of friction modifier, still getting the noise, so just ordered a truetrac.

i have a true trac in the rear, you wont be dissapointed

Back