• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rugged ridge - flippable?

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Hey if i get RRs crossover stuff can i use go-fer-it flip inserts in conjunction with the rugged ridge stuff? Im not looking for any major strength increases, by my old tie rod is bent and hte ends are rusted shut, plus all my joints are wearing down from having so much sand/dirt/water/mud in them, i was just looking for a cheap way to get 1) cross over (to help with DW, just like cross over idk why...) and 2) maybe get my tie rod up a little more. I do NOT want to modify sway bar or track bar mounts, nor pay anything over $150-200max.

Please let me know if thats possible.

Yes, but its going to require modifying your swaybar mounts, moving your trackbar mount over the axle and building a new trackbar.

I'm actually just looking to flip the driver's side TRE cause I don't want to get into all that work. Any preference for the two? The TNT kit is about $35 cheaper.

You can't flip just the drivers side on the JCR setup, as its an inverted T and not inverted Y.

If you flip the driverside only, you still have to do the swaybar links.

hmmm.... looks like im not gonna be able to get away with spending under $500, am i? So am i stuck with modifying sway bars and shit? Id reaaaaaly like to avoid messing with the track bad because those have to be pretty much 100% on to avoid DW and bump steer, what you guys think?

Depends how well you shop around and if you do your own fab work.

emr1101 said:
hmmm.... looks like im not gonna be able to get away with spending under $500, am i? So am i stuck with modifying sway bars and shit? Id reaaaaaly like to avoid messing with the track bad because those have to be pretty much 100% on to avoid DW and bump steer, what you guys think?

JCR or that guy up north is your best bet then. Cal spotted the whole weight of my jeep on to the JCR Tie rod, it bent slightly, but was easy to straighten back at camp, by rotating it 180 and jacking it up at the bend. I went JCR because I didn't want to screw with swaybar links and the trackbar mount. So far it's held up well. I still (crossfingers) haven't experienced DW since I've owned my junk.

emr1101 said:
really so you dont need to mess with sway bars or track bars with the JCR kit? What about teraflex?

If you don't flip it, all you need to do is reem the knuckles/pitman arm (which sounds easier than it is, but its managable)

you could buy some heim joints, drill out your knuckles to 5/8's and weld some nuts on some rod and call it a day use your stock draglink or a draglink from a zj. cut the end off that and use a heim.

similar to the bulletproof steering system, but cheaper.

Hmmm, I'll look into Bulletproof steering and the custom setup you speak of. As for JCR, their price isn't THAT bad, less than Teraflex's at least. I don't do much on rocks, the worst I expect my tie rod to hit is ruts and or logs, but high speed may make that exclusion of rocks null. Maybe if I get JCR, I can go with UTK untill I have the means to do OTK, then flip it, is that possible?

emr1101 said:
Hmmm, I'll look into Bulletproof steering and the custom setup you speak of. As for JCR, their price isn't THAT bad, less than Teraflex's at least. I don't do much on rocks, the worst I expect my tie rod to hit is ruts and or logs, but high speed may make that exclusion of rocks null. Maybe if I get JCR, I can go with UTK untill I have the means to do OTK, then flip it, is that possible?

Yes. You just replace one tie rod end and have it reemed opposite.

Call up JCR and talk to them about it, they can give you the run down.

I just looked at Bulletproof's website, it seems kind of sketchy. I'm starting to lean more towards JCR's kit - but cal do I need to mess with sway bar links or track bar mounts? JCR seems to point out that you do, maybe they're just being really honest, kind of good to see that in a company, giving the cutomer the worst case scenario...

emr1101 said:
I just looked at Bulletproof's website, it seems kind of sketchy. I'm starting to lean more towards JCR's kit - but cal do I need to mess with sway bar links or track bar mounts? JCR seems to point out that you do, maybe they're just being really honest, kind of good to see that in a company, giving the cutomer the worst case scenario...

If you flip it, you do. If you don't flip it, you just have to reem the knuckles and pitman arm. I've installed about 8 JCR kits.

And yes, they are about as strait forward and honest as a vendor can get. Tell them you're from Naxja, and feel free to use my name - which may or may not get you hung up on. :)

It would seem it me, once you ream it out bigger for UTK, if you want to re-ream it for OTK - I would think one would have to ream it out bigger, right? Thus requiring new TREs?

Naw, you'd pick up a new set of knuckles at the junkyard for $30 to reem from the other end.

cal said:
Naw, you'd pick up a new set of knuckles at the junkyard for $30 to reem from the other end.

Damn, so if I want to swap it I have to swap knuckles as well? Oh well... for the wheeling I do I doubt Id really be going to OTK anyway, I just need to get some halfway decent steering geometry when I go to 35s and new axles...

Back