• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for new shocks, opinions?

Sierra Drifter

NAXJA Forum User
I've decided to finally upgrade my cheap monroe shocks to something better. From the threads I've read, Bilsteins seem very popular and they are my first choice at the moment.

I'm running about 7.5" of lift with 37's. T&T Y-Link upgrade with an RE 5.5 lift. D44/D60 full width axles. Currently I have 22" from eye to eye on my shocks at ride height. I could gain some travel by dropping the lower front shock mount a couple inches. My rig is not a DD but it does see a lot of on-road time. I mostly crawl, but I wouldn't mind trying some desert wheeling at a bit faster pace. I'm considering one of these:

Rancho RS9000 XL
Bilstein 7100 12 or 14" travel, short body.
Fox 2.0 Pro Series 12" resivoirs

In the back I would go with a 10" travel shock.

I've never run any of these and looking for recommendations or comments from anyone who has experience with any of these.

I have all three of what you have listed above......The Bilstein and Foxare both a HUGE HUGE improvement over the Rancho, they fit in two different categories. Do not get me wrong, the ranchos are great, but they do not compare to the Bilsteins or Fox.

I ran the Fox that you can bolt in (Their are made for a TJ). And had no issues, great performance from them for almost 6 months....then, I went to the Bilstein.
I ended up with Bilsteins, not because I didnt like the FOX. but because I got a smokin deal on a set. I went with 12" shortbodies in the front, and 14" regular long bodies in the rear going through the floor into my cage.

tcm glx said:
I have all three of what you have listed above......The Bilstein and Foxare both a HUGE HUGE improvement over the Rancho, they fit in two different categories. Do not get me wrong, the ranchos are great, but they do not compare to the Bilsteins or Fox.

I ran the Fox that you can bolt in (Their are made for a TJ). And had no issues, great performance from them for almost 6 months....then, I went to the Bilstein.
I ended up with Bilsteins, not because I didnt like the FOX. but because I got a smokin deal on a set. I went with 12" shortbodies in the front, and 14" regular long bodies in the rear going through the floor into my cage.

Thanks tcm, how about the Bilstein 5150's ? They appear to be the same valving 255/70 with a smaller resivoir, and they are about $80 cheaper each.

Back