• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jerky steering wheel

IllianaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 01 XJ developed jerky steering a little while back, and I'm kinda stumped. I removed the steering stabilizer since it was very stiff, thinking that it was impeding the travel, but it didn't help much. It only does it when returning to center or holding a tight corner at low speed; you can see and feel the wheel jerking in increments.

The pump could stand replacing, but this seems like it would be more related to the box. The output shaft in the box has ~1/8" of play in it when turning at a standstill.

Technically it's not stock steering, I'm running Teraflex OTK with a Waggy pitman, but it was doing fine with that setup until very recently. The box and pump are stock.

Any thoughts?

have you checked the blots around the box? look for cracks around the bolts in the "frame." also does it happen in 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel or both?

2wd. Haven't tried 4wd.

Box mounting area is ok, I just put in JCR reinforcements a couple months ago.

Hmm... I'll have to check the u joints.

This is usually the u-joints at the outer axle shafts. It is not abnormal for the axle u-joints to bind a little bit. It is only a problem if the u-joint has failed or the symptoms get worse/noisy really fast.

Have you checked that joint the rests close to the brake booster, I dont know what it is called? My steering seems to have been sloppy in that joint and more so in the cold days or mornings, of which we have not had in a little while.

Back