• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm gonna do my gears...

HawkZero

NAXJA Forum User
After balking at the price of the local installer, I have decided to do my own gears. (maybe) I have access to a bearing press and inch/lb torque wrench. I can get the machinist dial gauge for 150 or so and I can free up a couple of saturdays. I have little/no gear experience but am pretty mechanically adept and worked on everything from Submarines to Volkswagens. There are no local NAXJA guys that can help...as far as I can tell.

Where do I start? Where can I find a no kidding step by step procedure?

I'm I high or stupid for trying and should I just pony up the 700-900 cash that I don't have for the local guy to do it?

First Id search for a cheaper installer(usually about 2-250$ per axle).After that be ready for some "real" fun(JK).If youve never done it before "dont"!Try to get a local member to show you the ropes first before trying it on your own.

RCP Phx said:
First Id search for a cheaper installer(usually about 2-250$ per axle).After that be ready for some "real" fun(JK).If youve never done it before "dont"!Try to get a local member to show you the ropes first before trying it on your own.

I'm in a small town. Only one shop agreed to do it. Everybody else that was recommended is 2-3 hours away and will take 2+ days. Add that kind of driving plus the cost of the job and we are right back at the 700-900 bucks.

HawkZero said:
After balking at the price of the local installer, I have decided to do my own gears. (maybe) I have access to a bearing press and inch/lb torque wrench. I can get the machinist dial gauge for 150 or so and I can free up a couple of saturdays. I have little/no gear experience but am pretty mechanically adept and worked on everything from Submarines to Volkswagens. There are no local NAXJA guys that can help...as far as I can tell.

Where do I start? Where can I find a no kidding step by step procedure?

I'm I high or stupid for trying and should I just pony up the 700-900 cash that I don't have for the local guy to do it?

I think if you do a google search on ring and pinion install you will find plenty of how-to write-ups. When I had mine done I found a very wide range of prices quoted for the same install. I paid $300 but I had quotes as high as $590 for one axle. I don't have a press or dial guage etc. Also most installers have 'setup bearings' that have been clearanced go on and off easily, and are used while adding and removing shims. Once the correct number of shims has been determined, then the real bearings are pressed on. You might want to join a local 4x4 club, there will be someone in the club that can assist/teach you to setup gears.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Don't be afraid to tackle the job if you have any mechanical experience at all. There are plenty of write ups on how to do it if you do a little searching.

The first time I set up a ring and pinion I pulled it back apart several times because I didn't think there was any way I got a perfect pattern on my first try. I second guessed myself into thinking something wasn't right.

Durango-Bob said:
What axles are you regearing and what ratios are you going from and to? There's some tips depending on these answers that can help.

D30 and Corp 8.25 29 Spline

3.55 to 4.56

I have ring and pinion sets from Yukon and a new D30 carrier already plus master install kits.

I wouldn't spend that much on a dial indicator either... the Harbor Freight one I used worked fine and it was under $20 with the mag base... Just take your time and triple check everything. Its not as hard as its made out to be...

Give yourself a whole weekend to do it just in case you run into problems and make sure you have another vehicle available to make parts runs.

The only times I ever run into problems working on anything is when I'm in a rush or don't have another car.

x2 on the Harbor Freight dial indicator.

You might look into borrowing or renting the tools you need. A bearing puller is almost a must, as is a press. If you are going to buy all the tools to do the job the costs run up very quick.

MisterFubar said:
Give yourself a whole weekend to do it just in case you run into problems and make sure you have another vehicle available to make parts runs.

The only times I ever run into problems working on anything is when I'm in a rush or don't have another car.

x2 on the Harbor Freight dial indicator.

You might look into borrowing or renting the tools you need. A bearing puller is almost a must, as is a press. If you are going to buy all the tools to do the job the costs run up very quick.

My plan was to do one axle per weekend. I'll look into the harbor freight dial indicator. The base auto-hobby shop should have all the tools other than the dial indicator on hand, but I will make sure first. The XJ is my third vehicle so I'm not in a major bind if its not driveable for awhile...

If I do this, I will make sure to post up pics of my patterns before I seal up the case.

I'm still in the planning stage... is it possible to use the old bearings as setup bearings?

HawkZero said:

3.55 to 4.56

I have ring and pinion sets from Yukon and a new D30 carrier already plus master install kits.

The crush sleeve in the Yukon kit is not great, they have a habit of continuing to crush over time.. Get an OEM one from a dealer - in fact, grab two and keep the spare sitting around.

When you are ready, remove the driveshafts and the pinion nuts before doing anything else. Then someone can sit in the Jeep and hold the brakes on while you bust the nuts free with a long (4') breaker bar.

A front axle shaft nut is the right size for the rear axle side adjusters. Just weld one on each end of a 4' long pipe and weld a couple of weld beads on two opposite sides of one of the nuts so that it doesn't push all the way though the adjuster. You don't necessarily need the same nut on the other end, but you will need to be able to torque it to 70 ft.lbs. or more.

Good bearing pullers or a nice sized press help out a bunch.

HawkZero said:

3.55 to 4.56

open the book that came with the Yukon gears and read it. good info in there, including how to read a pattern.

IntrepidXJ said:
why is that? I learned how to setup gears by doing them....and I have never had a problem with any of my setups. It's not very difficult.....just time consuming when you first start out.

If no one ever tried to learn how to setup gears, no one would know how......

X2.

It's not difficult at all to someone with the slightest amount of mechanical ability and some attention to detail.

I'd spend the money on the bearing puller. Worth it's weight. I think it was around $150, then once you're done, sell it to me, or keep it for future installs. :)

Back