• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arms

btfury

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the middle of installing my drop brackets, and I was wondering how many control arms need to be connected to the axle for things to stay relatively safe... :cheers:

I've got one DB on (driver's side) and both arms mounted in the new dropped position onto the drop brackets. Neither is mounted to the axle yet. Can I disconnect the other lower arm to make it easier to connect the drivers side lower arm? Or am I asking for trouble

The most important thing is to have the vehicle correctly supported and on jack stands. Then all is good. If you're messing around down there without supporting the vehicle bad things could happen. Support the vehicle 2" behind the Lower Control Arm mounts on the chassis side. Use jack stands that are correctly rated.

Once you have the vehicle supported, if you have two lowers or two uppers and the trac-bar connected, all you have to do is support the pinion and the diff won't go anywhere. To be honest, you can just about remove all of them and put them all back as long as the vehicle is supported. It's fairly easy as long as you can muscle around the diff a bit...just don't knock it off the jack stands.

You can get the "frame" as high as you want on the jackstands and then either articulate the axle with a floor jack to get the CA's to line up or you can use ratchet straps.

It's a pain, but you can get it.

I've completely disconnected the front axle many a time. It's a pita to get right again, but with some clever application of force, you can pick a winner every time.

Now think about what everyone said about doing it twice!

Back