• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scouts : Thank you!

Metal Thrasher

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.redding.com/news/2008/jul/21/honorable-scouts/

I know a few members here are or were Scouts. I grew up in the area the linked article is talking about and participated in a few Scouting expeditions on those trails. To this current group and their efforts I must say my thanks.
Now we just need to recruit some more of them for our trail work...

I'm a boy scout, working on Eagle.

I'm also the Junior Assistant Scoutmaster (highest position a Scout can have) so I can see about getting some trail work done from my troop for ya.

Heck, anyone have a big project idea I can do for 4wheeling? Like make us a picnic area or new over cover thing? I need an Eagle Scout project...

My 15 year old son is currently working on his Eagle. We did some prep work last night, more to come later this week, big project is happening on Saturday.

Scott, you want to log some volunteer hours this Saturday?

Muddy Beast said:
I'm a boy scout, working on Eagle.

I'm also the Junior Assistant Scoutmaster (highest position a Scout can have) so I can see about getting some trail work done from my troop for ya.

Heck, anyone have a big project idea I can do for 4wheeling? Like make us a picnic area or new over cover thing? I need an Eagle Scout project...

I am certain that we could find a selection of projects for you to do as an Eagle Scout Project up at Walker Valley ORV park.

Give me a call and we can talk about it more in person. I can also direct you to some of the management within the DNR that can find you other opportunities.

Michael

fubar XJ said:
My 15 year old son is currently working on his Eagle. We did some prep work last night, more to come later this week, big project is happening on Saturday.

Scott, you want to log some volunteer hours this Saturday?

Thanks, but I have some biking planned this weekend. I've been sitting on the same rank for a few years now...more or less just taking my time.

Plus, I dont need any volunteer hours anymore, I more or less just volunteer when I'm free now.

Ba-Riedo said:
Is your son in need of help Doug, I might be free saturday.

-Alex

Yeah, we can use another set of hands. We're installing guardrails on the bridges in the Mill Creek Nature Preserve, meeting Saturday morning. If you would like to help, PM me and I'll give you my addy and the details.

Bad, just bad. :D

My boy and I got back a couple of hours ago, we had 27 total Scouts and Dads show up to help with the project. It went really well, we production-lined those bridge guard rails and then the kids banged out painting the parking lot lines afterwards. Just a great group of folks who were willing to help in Troop 221, which is complete Karma since my son Carter has helped 7 or 8 other Scouts in the troop with their Eagle project work parties in the last four years. It feels good to have it all done (I was busting some ass myself both in the lead-in materials gathering and sub-assembly phases, as well as the install) so I'm looking forward to not sawing, drilling or screwing together any wood for awhile. He came up with the plan by himself, as well as did all of the contacting and coordinating for it, I was just hired muscle for the stuff a skinny 15 year old can't do. Now he has to do the final write-up and submit it, any advice from you Eagle Scouts out there?

Doug

Dustin_Z said:
I got my eagle 6 years ago now. GOOD LUCK on making it, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

4 years ago for me, and same as everyone else, good luck with the write up and congrats. keep your head in it and don't let girls or a job (or jeeps) pull you away. as much as i love my jeep and want everyone else to know it, it's not worth sacrificing achieving eagle.

Getting your Eagle Rank is a great accomplishment. It is on my resume and I can tell you that it has gotten more comments and started many conversations that were well worth it during interviews.

Doug, I don't know what advice you are looking for but if there is anything that I can provide please let me know. I can remember thinking that the write up portion of the project seemed big, but that was MANY moons ago now and I really can't remember that much of it. I do remember the project and I still go back there everyonce in a while and check it out (yes it is still there). What I can recommend for any written project is to have him do an outline first. This will help keep him in line and on track and will help make the paper much easier to write.

Good luck and congratulations!!
Michael

I used 2 other books to help me write mine, it really helps to know what your getting into. The leaders are generally pretty vague about what they want, until you get it done. The biggest thing is having pictures and hours logged, also materials, cost and how much you varied from plan to production.

-Alex

He has everything written down from the planning phase to the materials list and prices to the logged hours of who and when they helped. I had him start on it last night, will push more in the coming weeks. I've told him he should have it all written up within the next 30 days, so that's the goal. Thanks for the tips, I'll pass them along to him.

It is amazing how many of the people that I respect here are Scouts or deeply involved in Scouting. I guess it is a lost art.
Thanks Guys!

John

Back