• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Identification?

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up an 87 XJ with an automatic transmission, has a leaky front transmission seal (I assume (fluid coming from bellhousing) parts store says there is two different 3-speed autos for that year? How do you easily tell them apart?

Isn't there a metal tag screwed to the transmission that will tell you?

jfiscus said:
I just picked up an 87 XJ with an automatic transmission, has a leaky front transmission seal (I assume (fluid coming from bellhousing) parts store says there is two different 3-speed autos for that year? How do you easily tell them apart?
is it a 4.0? because if so, then it should be an AW4 without a question.

jfiscus said:
Is it a 4.0L? In that case there's only one automatic transmission used with it, and it's not a 3-speed. The Aisin-Warner AW-4 4-speed (with Overdrive) transmission is the only automatic transmission to be used behind the 4.0L engine during the entire 1987-2001 life of the 4.0L Cherokee.

Find a better parts store.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I think the two they listed were the 904 & 727(?)... I got both seals anyways, just hadn't heard much about these old XJs (besides that they are slow) & wanted to be sure which I had.

Take a picture of the sump pan (if you can,) host it somewhere, and post it in this thread. Automatics are typically identified by the shape of the sump, and that's the easiest way to get a positive ID.

I'm working on an ID page in my Tech section - I've got most of the pix, just haven't gotten around to it yet...

Back