• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender trimming for earlier model xj's

Giviner

NAXJA Forum User
It looks like i'm going to need to trim my fenders if I want my 32's to fit.

I've been trying to find a writeup or at least get some suggestions as to how others have trimmed their fenders, both front and rear, on the older model xj's. Everything I have found so far has been for the newer body style.

Thanks!

As for the front: take your flares off then use the rolled part of the fender as your template for where to cut. I used a cut off wheel. It worked fine. I would use some masking tape around where you want to cut to protect the paint. On the rear just use the cut/fold method just like on the newer xj's.

that works perfectly. I just did mine earlier today. Except I went up a little farther. Then I just used self tapping screws to hold in rear newly made tabs. No rubbage on 35s.:woohoo:

sawzall and a bat. Wooden bats work best but we did my buddies with a metal one. Slot the fender then use the bat to roll them in. Gives you a nicer surface than cutting them. I dont like to cut the fronts cause it leave a sharp edge.

wolfpackjeeper said:
sawzall and a bat. Wooden bats work best but we did my buddies with a metal one. Slot the fender then use the bat to roll them in. Gives you a nicer surface than cutting them. I dont like to cut the fronts cause it leave a sharp edge.

It does leave a sharp edge but I got some door molding from the parts store and glued it around the fender edge. Its been that way for a couple weeks and hasn't started to come off yet. We'll see though.

The same basic principles of cutting the fenders apply to all the models. I cut rather high, and still rub on 35s.

Untitled-1.jpg

Older picture showing it better
P1010764.jpg

And finally a picture at rest.
Picture039.jpg

The fronts are cut pretty high, but nothing above normal. The rear was cut and rewelded. Might be a bit above your needs at the moment.

Thanks for the help guys.

One other thing I noticed up front is that the flare is 2 pieces (an outer and inner). The inner part of the flare also covers a good portion of the inside of the wheel well. Do you guys just remove the entire thing or cut it to keep the wheel wells intact?

I'd like to keep the wheel wells as enclosed as possible as this will be a mud vehicle.

Here's how it currently sits with the 3.5" junkyard/spacer lift:

20123304712.jpg

i do not think you'll be able to save the interior wheel well covers....

BUT i could be wrong, should you choose to gut them fenders like everyone else... a pool noodle will stuff into the wheel well opening quite well... glue it in, and no mud on your interior!
its not my idea, but it seems to work quite well

My '92's are cut on the front; tabbed & rolled on the rear. Liners are a must for me due to heavy mudding so I used the liners from newer XJ's (not recommended as they're smaller). But with a little ingenuity & cussing it can be done. I pretty much hold them up with upholstery clips and screws in some existing holes, drilled a couple as well. I can post pics if you wish. I have a writeup here on doing the rears. It's doable but gets pretty tedious but if you add the flares ... which are required in NJ.

i did save the inner liner, you cut it a little so it doesn't fold with the metal. Then when you roll them, keep rolling the fender till it is flush with the inner wheel well. I spaced my cuts about 4in apart, and I made sure to put one or 2 everywhere that there was a curve.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I like the idea of folding the front and retaining the fender liners.

I probably won't bother with flares since they aren't required by law, and my tires already stick out past the stock ones anyway. I'm also trying to do this on the cheap so if all I have to buy is a few cutoff wheels that is good enough for me!

Did you guys have the paint crack off on you when you were folding?

yes, I masked off the area about 2" around the fender flares, and painted those and the body below the trim line with bedliner. I also recoated the wheelwells and famerails while I was at it

LouisianaZJ said:

http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xj2cu1.jpg

Just picked up this 92. 4.5" on 35's

Plan to cut the front and rear higher up. The rear has already been cut about 1" past the pinch weld (not cut and folded), so I plan to cut and reweld higher up. Anyone have pics of cut and reweld of the rear? The front is mainly cosmetic
Please dont cut your front fenders like that, it looks like ass when people do that.

Search for cutting the rear quarter panel. Thats what you do when you cut where you have your yellow X.

I cut and rewelded, look up and you will see pictures. Ill post more if you want. Look at this thread to see how you can do basically what I did, but with a 4 door.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=953499

Back