• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well that was fun. CPS sensor symptoms?

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving up a light hill, and my jeep started stuttering and misfiring. It does this on and off maybe once a day or every two days. I had my CEL codes read and I did some research and it led me to believe this was a Crankshaft position sensor, correct? Any other suggestions? I'd rather not have my Jeep stutter and misfire while I'm merging with traffic or something.

CPS usually shuts the engine off, not misfire. what was the error code? CPS never generated an error code for me. My shuddering/misfire issue was with the TPS.

i had that same problem wih mine...after a while it would get more and more often and then it just wouldnt run, replaced the cps and now all is fine

a llooooooong (like 3foot) ratchet extension makes cps changes easy... also a person with small hands helps A LOT... i could not get mine out, so i had a friend reach in, and he had NO problem... it can be a bitch

whatevah said:
CPS usually shuts the engine off, not misfire. what was the error code? CPS never generated an error code for me. My shuddering/misfire issue was with the TPS.

x2 for the tps. Also one time my rotor had a lot of deposits built up on the contact. Cleaned it off and it never happened again.

Back