• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-runner "look" functional?

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I wanna lift my XJ, but dealing with rear driveshaft angles and all that (Have a 99) I was thinking of doing 2" out back and 3" out front. Nothign major something that'll still look alright with 235s

Does it make any kind of weird physics that would make it handle like junk? Bad Idea? I cant seem to find any pictures of trucks like that too. Those would be great too

I wouldn't do higher in the front simply because that will put you lookin more at the sky and it will put your headlights right in oncoming driver's eyes unless you adjust them. odds of you having bad vibs in the rear with only 3" of lift is very slim however it isnt uncommon for an XJ of your year to have bad vibs after a small amount of lift like that. If you do get vibs from the rear it can be easily fixed with some shims that will sit under your leaf springs and on the spring pearch that will then rotate the differential up some to lessen the sharper angle of the driveshaft and hopefully cure any bad vibs you could possibly get. This is an inexpensive way to do it and its not very difficult to do either. Now if your vibs are really bad you may have to go farther with it and do a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit and CV driveshaft which will cure any and all rear driveline vibs but this is a more expensive approach but usually is necessary for lift of 5" and higher and only recommended for 3.5" and higher. I have a 97 XJ which is very similar to your 99 and I have the Rubicon Express full leaf packs which actually net around 4" and I have no rear vibs. Also rear vibs can be caused by cheap replacement u-joint in the drive shaft so check and make sure they are Dana Spicer joints, if they aren't then you may get vibs after a little lift due to the cheap joints. I had this happen after a shop replaced mine with some no name Japanese joints that only lasted 2 years before going bad and they gave me slight vibs even when brand new. Put in some Dana Spicer joints and its as smooth as can be now. So don't be too worried about vibs if you only want to go up about 3". Thats a good lift height clears a decent size tire plenty of flex and doesn't have to involve too many parts. Hope that helps and good luck!

Ben824 said:
I wouldn't do higher in the front simply because that will put you lookin more at the sky and it will put your headlights right in oncoming driver's eyes unless you adjust them. odds of you having bad vibs in the rear with only 3" of lift is very slim however it isnt uncommon for an XJ of your year to have bad vibs after a small amount of lift like that. If you do get vibs from the rear it can be easily fixed with some shims that will sit under your leaf springs and on the spring pearch that will then rotate the differential up some to lessen the sharper angle of the driveshaft and hopefully cure any bad vibs you could possibly get. This is an inexpensive way to do it and its not very difficult to do either. Now if your vibs are really bad you may have to go farther with it and do a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit and CV driveshaft which will cure any and all rear driveline vibs but this is a more expensive approach but usually is necessary for lift of 5" and higher and only recommended for 3.5" and higher. I have a 97 XJ which is very similar to your 99 and I have the Rubicon Express full leaf packs which actually net around 4" and I have no rear vibs. Also rear vibs can be caused by cheap replacement u-joint in the drive shaft so check and make sure they are Dana Spicer joints, if they aren't then you may get vibs after a little lift due to the cheap joints. I had this happen after a shop replaced mine with some no name Japanese joints that only lasted 2 years before going bad and they gave me slight vibs even when brand new. Put in some Dana Spicer joints and its as smooth as can be now. So don't be too worried about vibs if you only want to go up about 3". Thats a good lift height clears a decent size tire plenty of flex and doesn't have to involve too many parts. Hope that helps and good luck!

2 seconds with a screw driver solves the headlight issue.

An SYE is NOT "only recomended for 3.5" and higher" lifts. I put one on my XJ with 2" of lift. It is a STRONGER, and BETTER design, and let me have interchangable front and rear driveshafts.

New Liberties coming off the line today (and maybe JKs too, cant remember) are coming from the factory with an SYE and Double cardan driveshaft - after all these years, Jeep finally got it right!

summitlt said:
2" out back and 3" out front.
Most likely your rig will set pretty close to level.

JNickel101 said:
An SYE is NOT "only recomended for 3.5" and higher" lifts. I put one on my XJ with 2" of lift. It is a STRONGER, and BETTER design, and let me have interchangable front and rear driveshafts.

New Liberties coming off the line today (and maybe JKs too, cant remember) are coming from the factory with an SYE and Double cardan driveshaft - after all these years, Jeep finally got it right!

Too bad they got everything else wrong with the Liberty :p

Can you use the Liberty driveshaft with an SYE?

I'd base a lift around the tires you want to run, and what you want to do, and face it, you may have to do driveline mods.

Back