• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Leaf

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
What would be the best way to fix this one? 98 XJ with 4.5" AAL.

P1020078.jpg

P1020079.jpg

P1020080.jpg

P1020081.jpg

No blocks, but it's 1.75" Lift shackles and a shim for pinion angle.

Im tempted for new spring packs, but $$$ is tight. Just a new leaf from the junkyard?

If that's the main leaf, you have no choice but to find one from a bone yard or buy a spring pack....

You could try welding it, but that usually doesn't work out so well, seemimg as springs flex and welds don't.....(I have seen it done at a race trac, but not for street use....)

poorboy_616 said:
If that's the main leaf, you have no choice but to find one from a bone yard or buy a spring pack....

You could try welding it, but that usually doesn't work out so well, seemimg as springs flex and welds don't.....(I have seen it done at a race trac, but not for street use....)

How about JB weld?

:D

You will have to replace the cracked leaf.....no way around it!! Welding/fixing is a waste of time!!

Bout what I figured, removing the main from my rig and the junkyard will probably be the hardest part. Would it be worth it to grab the whole pack, and add another leaf? I sit level to a hair under in the rear, wouldn't mind going up 1/2"-1".

What would cause a spring to crack like that, axle wrap?

salt, hard bump, axle wrap, heavy load combined with the others.

if you want another inch, you could grab the biggest non-main leaf off a GMC jimmy or s10, it'll net you ~ an inch.

Id like to see a pic of the entire pack with weight on it(like a jack stand or jack)?

Working on it, as soon as it stops raining. What are the odds my leaf pack is just going to fall apart while Im driving down the road?

Personally, a cracked main leaf, I wouldn't drive on it for any bet. The main leaf if the one that keeps the rear end attached to the vehicle. The other ones are for weight capacity but don't actually attach to the vehicle.

Get a new leaf or pack before driving. That's my .02 worth.

BTW, I know when I had an Xterra, it was not uncommon for people using lift shackles to have problems with springs breaking. It has to do with how the spring would over flex and eventually causing them to break. YMMV

Thats what I was looking at, I don't think those retainers are going to hold the axle under the vehicle together well.

Gotta wonder how long it's been like that. Months? Years even?

Ok, so it looks like Im hooked up with a factory leaf pack, not in great shape arch-wise, but not cracked. Can I make a bastard pack out of this, assuming it's sagged more than what I have on there now? Get rid of my cracked main leaf, use the main and one other leaf from that other pack, and I should be where I am now, maybe slightly higher?

if u have the whole leaf pack, i would just swap the whole pack in and see where it sets before adding any thing, then if u want u can add some leaves from the broken pack (not the broken one) to get the height u want, no sense cutting apart the leaf pack if u dont need too, imo hth

The pack I have on the jeep has a 3" AAL in there, the pack I have to replace the main spring with is stock. So Im going to have to pull apart both packs to make it work. Im going to see how close the arches of the mains match once (if) I can get it out, and go from there.

Back