• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock driveline too long?

oldskooldubbin

NAXJA Forum User
So my xj has 6in's of lift a tc drop and the stock drive line is to long? I went to replace a bad u joint and the drive shaft was jamed into the tc because it is to long. Anyone else had this problem? It has no sye.

oldskooldubbin said:
So my xj has 6in's of lift a tc drop and the stock drive line is to long? I went to replace a bad u joint and the drive shaft was jamed into the tc because it is to long. Anyone else had this problem? It has no sye.
Recently had the same problem when I swapped in a D44 from another XJ for my pos D35.

Jack up the rear end and let the axle drop that should give you room. Did you install the lift? Drive shafts do not magically grow :)

Should have noticed it being too long when it was reinstalled? Hope you did not damage your output bearing on the transfer case?

Nope i did not install the lift previous owner did. I just don't get why it is to long the jeep still has the stock rear end.

oldskooldubbin said:
Nope i did not install the lift previous owner did. I just don't get why it is to long the jeep still has the stock rear end.
Well, with the lifted springs and I am assuming shackles as well it moved the axle forward slightly, from the stock position. That would explain it....

I drove mine too long (I had 1/8 inch movement forward) for day while I had a new drive shaft made as this is my DD and I now have to replace the seal as the limited travel screwed up the output seal. Check your transfer case fluid if you have noticed excessive leakage at the output. Then go find that guy that installed the lift and beat him over the head with the Driveshaft :)

Hope that helps.

oldskooldubbin said:
Yea I am thinking of having an inch or two cut out of my drive line.

I went with an inch of travel forward as I wanted more travel out, too far out and you risk loosing the shaft flexing or damaging the output bearing. When you go to a drive line shop ask them to look at it. Make sure it is someone that is aware of your needs offroading and do it right the first time.

Last edited:
oldskooldubbin said:

Have no idea how this could be possible.
But: shorten it.

Back