• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IAC question

xj88superjeep

NAXJA Forum User
88 Limited. I took off the IAC and cleaned it last night, but I was wondering... Is the "valve" inside supposed to be hard to move by hand? I could pull it out barely, and it would slide back in with less effort than it came out, but still was not "smooth" or easy to move. I cleaned it all up and lubed it with some WD40, but it was still stiff when I reinstalled it. I don't want to buy a new one if this is normal. Thanks!

Technically when its removed, the valve should not be pushed or pulled....but no it is supposed to be tough to move by hand when you do. Mine does this as well.

So, is there any way to really tell if it's functioning properly other than swapping it out with a new one to see if it makes a difference. I am chasing a stumble start problem where my jeep starts perfect every single time, and idles great, put it in gear and usually still idles great. but if it was a "cold start" as soon as I start driving, it stalls the second I let off the gas, it hesitates and stalls, or if I feather it, it will pop and stutter then return to good idle, then stall again as soon as I give it gas and let back off the gas. (it can't seem to handle returning to a normal idle from, let's say backing out of a parking space, right after I start it) As soon as I restart it, it starts perfect again, then repeats the malfunction until it has been running for about 2-3 minutes. After she warms up, she runs great the rest of the day, or until it sits for a few hours and we are back to the "cold start" stage. Also, to give a clearer picture, if I jam the gas at any time, it "chokes" for like a full second before it will open up, and sometimes POPS when it does clear it's throat. It really runs GREAT other than this issue, so I am trying to find that last piece of the puzzle.

Gonna test the manifold vacuum pressure next, then clean the PCM connections and fuel injector connections, then possibly a new IAC, or new injectors, or try the O2 sensor. Or all of the above. I just HATE throwing parts at it! Already did all the grounds, and a brand new battery.

AboveNBeyond said:
Any result??

I am having the same thing right now too. Changed the TPS & IAC to no avail...

EGR and O2 will be next and wondered what worked for you??
Still chasing it... I've been way busy... Gonna try this weekend to plate off the egr valve and see if it works. Oh, going to clean the connections to the ECU first, to rule that out. I will post up my results here. O2 sensor is gonna be the next part I throw at it. Not this weekend though.

Last edited:
xj88superjeep said:
Gonna try this weekend to plate off the egr valve and see if it works.

I am too, but I might do the O2 sensor as well if the EGR is not the cat causing this. Are symptoms are so similar I would be shocked if it was not the same culprit causing it. I too will post my results.

Back