• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Options

dard1324

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a blown seal in my Dana 30 and figure while I have to tear it apart or have it torn apart I might as well do gears and lockers as well. I'm planning on doing 4.56's and either Aussie or Lock-rite (advice on which?) in the front and Detroit in the rear. The problem is I am on the stock Dana 35 and I'm on 31's now but will go to 33's soon. I have three options:
1) Super 35 kit (don't really want to do that way, my mechanic/jeep buddy says that should be able to hold up to what I do.)
2) Swap in a late model 8.25 and do gears/locker.
3) Wait for a XJ44 and do gears/locker. I've seen 2 or 3 44's in my area on craigslist since March or so.

I can't do an axle swap that wouldn't be direct because I don't have the means/skills/tools to do so. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

i would say do a ford explorer 8.8 and gear/lock it at the same time, but if you dont have the time/tools/skills, then would prolly be best to just get the super 35 kit,

there is acutally lots to do with the 8.8 swap, set pinion angle, grind off old perches, set new ones weld them on, brake lines, gear swap if you dont have the same one, your d-shaft will have to be lenthened, and you will need the adapter flange for your driveshaft so....

The super 35 should be ok for 33s. The 8.25 is limited for gears (max is 4.56) so if you ever want to go to 4.88s, i would shy away from that. Im not sure of the super 35 kit, but if its comparable to buying a D44 and gearing/locking it, go for it.

Hey guys,
I dont wanna change the topic but I got a quick ?. I have a 1989 Dana 44 rear with the trac-loc LSD in my '91 2door XJ I reasently changed the fulid in it and painted it so if any leaks accured I could see them. Well a leak did appear. But from what I can tell its comming from one of the plug welds on the left side of the diff. I wasnt sure that was correct so i wiped it all down and when i checked a few days later it was comming out of the same plug weld. Has anyone else had this problem?

KryptoniteXJ said:
Hey guys,
I dont wanna change the topic but I got a quick ?. I have a 1989 Dana 44 rear with the trac-loc LSD in my '91 2door XJ I reasently changed the fulid in it and painted it so if any leaks accured I could see them. Well a leak did appear. But from what I can tell its comming from one of the plug welds on the left side of the diff. I wasnt sure that was correct so i wiped it all down and when i checked a few days later it was comming out of the same plug weld. Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes,the factory seals the tubes when they press them in.When I rebuilt my 44 I scraped out all the sealant I could(from behind the carrier bearing) and re-sealed it with Yamabond.Hasnt ever leaked!

I am in a similar situation. Looking to upgrade the back axle. I was looking at the Super kits but after doing some research decided against it. A few of my friends ran Super 35s for awhile with no problems. HOWEVER it was professionally installed(can be a determining factor in durability) and one particular friend simply stated that yes it held up, but he did not have very much faith in it. If i were you, dont spent 1200+ on a Super kit. Find a D44, 8.25 or even a D60. The XJ44s are awesome because they are an easy install. The only downfall is they are hard to find. IMO I would go with a with an 8.25 or D60. You can find a used 8.25 or D60 WITH 4.11 gears and higher for around 250-300 not to mention you will have a meaty rearend. Theres my two cents. Hope you find something that works!

I ended up finding an XJ44 the day after I posted this from Pick n pull for $70.
dsc00888zj9.jpg

My Ruff Stuff diff cover should show up tomorrow and I'm waiting for all my price quotes to come in on 4.56's and a detroit before I order.

Look at the splines on the shafts, if they have any twist, replace them. I snapped a stock shaft at JV. Alloy USA shafts are only 250ish anyway.

dard1324 said:
So I have a blown seal in my Dana 30 and figure while I have to tear it apart or have it torn apart I might as well do gears and lockers as well. I'm planning on doing 4.56's and either Aussie or Lock-rite (advice on which?) in the front and Detroit in the rear. The problem is I am on the stock Dana 35 and I'm on 31's now but will go to 33's soon. I have three options:
1) Super 35 kit (don't really want to do that way, my mechanic/jeep buddy says that should be able to hold up to what I do.)
2) Swap in a late model 8.25 and do gears/locker.
3) Wait for a XJ44 and do gears/locker. I've seen 2 or 3 44's in my area on craigslist since March or so.

I can't do an axle swap that wouldn't be direct because I don't have the means/skills/tools to do so. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Go 8.8 if you plan on 35s+.... a 8.25/29spl will handle 33s locked or 35s unlocked. But you get free gears if you go 88.... You can have someone help you weld it.

Back