• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The BEST oil filter for our beloved HO 6?

crusTodd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Jeepers,
I just had my '99 Grand into the dealer to diagnose a mysterious AC problem and among other things they found wrong, they really slagged the K&N oil filter I have on it. SO... what is THE BEST oil filter to run on these engines?

Thanks in advance for your wealth of knowledge all,

crust1

PS, I have a REALLY sweet XJ as well, so I am OK:roflmao:

everyone crumbs on K&Ns because they are high FLOW filters, not high FILTRATION filters (that goes for thier air filters as well). the best thing you can put on there would be a mobil1 filter, and second to that is an original mopar one, with WIX being a close third.

Wix or Napa Gold.

You can search more on this topic, if you'd like. Its been covered many times over.

gradon said:
mobil m301

That would be a Mobil 1 (M1-301) This is an approx 30% larger filter. All my Jeep has ever had, or WIX equivalent. Avoid the Fram. Do be advised it is a direct fit ,no upgrade needed for the HO engine. Renix requires you to install the newer filter adapter.

Baldwin when I can find them, Wix when I can't. NAPA Gold seems to be a rebranded Wix.

If you're dealing with a "small chain" store, ask them who makes their house filters - the answer may surprise you, and the question can save you a few bucks. Same goes for their "house" oil - my local has Wix filters and Castrol as "house-branded" stuff (they did, anyhow. They've since sold out to CarQuest, and I haven't asked yet.)

Note that RENIX (1987-1990) use an ISO thread on the filter nipple - M20-1.5, IIRC - while HO rigs use an SAE thread (15/16"-something? I don't recall, I'd have to look it up...) The HO filter thread and gasket are the same size as the full-size one-quart Ford/Chevvy filters, so you can run a larger filter - just be sure to run an extra half-quart of oil at each change as well. I'm still working on an "extended" filter for RENIX.

WIX makes the NAPA Gold and carquest filters, and most of the oem filters.

I too want the best but what makes the Baldwin filter so good? I can get them locally for cheap so I'm curious. I've been using the upsize K&N for awhile now with no problems but the engine's getting older so I wanna protect it as best I can.

xjguy98 said:
I too want the best but what makes the Baldwin filter so good? I can get them locally for cheap so I'm curious. I've been using the upsize K&N for awhile now with no problems but the engine's getting older so I wanna protect it as best I can.

I'm not sure, but old farmers tend to swear by them. Ever see a forty-year-old Massey Ferguson finally give up and need a head gasket after about a half-million hours on the clock, and the oil was still nice and clean? No crud or sludge in the sump? Baldwin filters and Valvoline oil is what it had had since it was new, and it was abused after breakin.

I don't know what makes Baldwin filters do good, but they do work! I really need to get their catalogue one of these days...

Wix is just easier to find, that's all.

AMSOIL makes good oil filters too...

I'm interested to see how many people are running the re-usable filters (metal ones with the "mesh" screens) or the "tissue/toilet paper" filters that were being discussed the other day (still dont know WHAT the heck they are).

JNickel101 said:
AMSOIL makes good oil filters too...

I'm interested to see how many people are running the re-usable filters (metal ones with the "mesh" screens) or the "tissue/toilet paper" filters that were being discussed the other day (still dont know WHAT the heck they are).

I've been thinking about getting a "reusable prefilter" - it's a CRES screen that goes between the filter and the mount to catch the larger stuff. Or, just installing a remote washable filter.

The "toilet paper" filters are a throwback to earlier "cartridge" filters. Old Fords and Chevvies used to not accept "spin-on" cannister type filters, they had a chamber that could be opened up and you'd replace a paper element. It was common to simply remove the core from a toilet roll and drop that in instead, and it worked quite well.

GrimmJeeper said:
everyone crumbs on K&Ns because they are high FLOW filters, not high FILTRATION filters (that goes for thier air filters as well). the best thing you can put on there would be a mobil1 filter, and second to that is an original mopar one, with WIX being a close third.

Mopar doesn't make _ANY_ filters. They buy them from an OEM supplier. I'd be willing to bet the original mopar one is a WIX. I know where I used to work and my dad retired from they made fuel filters for the big three, and aftermarket. OEM, Hastings, Fram, AC/Delco were all the same, only difference was the box it went in, and the stamp in the machine. That was the fuel filter though. FRAM is king of crap for oil filters, and I'd have to check with my dad on what cars Parr/Mahle is making the fuel parts for. :)

Not sure who's making the mobil 1 filter, but I just run a Wix/NAPA Gold/Carquest Premium. Those are all made by WIX.

Back