• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck bolts, how do I remove!?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
First let me say I probably should have searched, but I need an answer ASAP and can't look threw some 1000+ threads on this.

I'm removing my hitch to put on my new gas tank skid, and I've been having a lot of trouble with the drivers side for some reason. So far I've gotten all of the passenger side bolts off, but only one drivers side (2 are going to be easy, but one is super stubborn).

img0768cd6.jpg

Here's the bolt (LOTS of WD40)

img0767xz0.jpg

And here's the broken tools so far (damn cheater bar is too good for my tools)...and yes, one of those is bent! I'd use a wrench but it wont stay on (damn gravity) and my cheater bar wont fit an 18mm wrench well enough.

EDIT: So what else should I try? I've used an impact wrench on it several times and it wont budge (not even a little!). And yes, 3 of those wrenches are Craftsman...the internals blew up.

Apply heat from a torch would be an option if the gas tank wasn't there.....

Also, craftsman tools usually carry a lifetime warranty, so go exchange them....

Yeah I was going to do the torch method...but having the gas tank there scares me a little.

And yeah that's why I use craftsman, so I can go get new ones when things like this happen.

It looks to be partially out. Work it in then back out. It should eventually come out. PB Blaster is your friend in these situations.

I tried to work it back in but it wont move.

And know everything I could use to move it is broken, and I dont have another car to go get new tools right now either...

What does PB blaster do that WD40 doesnt?

I agree. Spray a ton of PB or aerokroil in the gap that can be seen. then run the bolt in, back out, spray more PB or aerokroil on threads and repeat. If it starts getting real hot let it cool or spray something cool on the bolt to cool it off.

also, use a wrench (have someone help hold it if needed) and then throw another wrench on the end to extend the length. You ever seen that done. Should be your best bet.

PB blaster gets stuck bolts out, looks like WD doesn't.

Try it you'll never look back.

How do I use a wrench on another wrench to extend it out? I've never heard of that one before...

Now I need to find a friend who has PB Blaster since I can't really drive the Jeep with a hitch hanging off.

WD-40 is NOT a penetrant/rust breaker!

WD is no good for seized screws. Hell, that's not what it was made for anyhow!

Try putting a centre punch on it and fetching it one good whack with a largish hammer to break things up - spray with PB before and after.

If you can get a pencil torch (very fine flame, very small head) in your hands, you can then heat up the screw with less worry about the fuel tank. You can probably find a pencil torch (and a heat blanket!) in the soldering/welding section at your hardware store - put the heat blanket between the work and the fuel tank.

Perversely, a full fuel tank is safer than an empty one - consider that.

In very bad cases, I've had good luck with Type F and acetone mixed ~1:1 - but you need some way to contain it. Clay, perhaps?

Crap well I currently have no way of getting any PB Blaster (asside from the fact I have $10 to my name because I ordered some JCR sliders). So this shall be interesting...

:-/

If the only reason you can't drive it is because the hitch has been taken down on the other side then why not put the bolts back in that side to hold it up? At least then you'd be able to get to the parts store.

Well that's not the only reason I can't drive it. My other reason is I'm broke to begin with...so I wouldnt even be able to afford anything to fix it.

I'm having some friends help me out, unfortunately that may mean waiting an extra day or two.

Muddy Beast said:
Crap well I currently have no way of getting any PB Blaster (asside from the fact I have $10 to my name because I ordered some JCR sliders). So this shall be interesting...

:-/
$10 will get you a can of PB blast and some Beer.

use the closed end of the wrench on the bolt. hook the closed end of another (larger) wrench onto the open end of the wrench that is on the bolt. that should cheat you enough.

BFH to shake some thigs up, in and out, all very good ideas. i would work on getting the bolt back IN, then back out, you will probably tear the head off at this pace

what air pressure and what size HOSE and compressor size were you using on what impact gun? you will be suprised what a difference the hose makes in repeatable power, otherwise you blow your load on the first hit.

CanMan said:
Cut the head off. Remove rear bumper, and remove the nut strips inside the 'frame'.

Find some new nutstrips and bolts. Install bolts with antiseize. Install hitch.

That'd probably be the easiest way.

I'm beginning to think this may be the way to go.

I'm probably going back to a guys house I went to a week ago who had the exact same Jeep as me he was letting people strip for free, I may have to grab some new nut strips...

tomcat said:
$10 will get you a can of PB blast and some Beer.

use the closed end of the wrench on the bolt. hook the closed end of another (larger) wrench onto the open end of the wrench that is on the bolt. that should cheat you enough.

BFH to shake some thigs up, in and out, all very good ideas. i would work on getting the bolt back IN, then back out, you will probably tear the head off at this pace

what air pressure and what size HOSE and compressor size were you using on what impact gun? you will be suprised what a difference the hose makes in repeatable power, otherwise you blow your load on the first hit.

3 gallon tank, but I figure the first 120PSI hit should at least move the bolt...

The hose I have no idea, the only one I have that doesnt leak horribly...hah.

Back