• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump

Mikey

NAXJA Forum User
Well....I need to replace my water pump. The NAPA one lasted just over a year before the fins rusted and it is now not efficient. (Lets not take the thread down the coolant path, it was a 30/70 mix) I was wondering if the stock replacement from the stealership is of good quality and worth the $110 they want for it. Are there any other good quality pumps on the market that I can get? I am not looking to get one from any local parts store as I am convinced they are not good and all made in Mexico by circus midgets.

Mikey said:
Well....I need to replace my water pump. The NAPA one lasted just over a year before the fins rusted and it is now not efficient. (Lets not take the thread down the coolant path, it was a 30/70 mix) I was wondering if the stock replacement from the stealership is of good quality and worth the $110 they want for it. Are there any other good quality pumps on the market that I can get? I am not looking to get one from any local parts store as I am convinced they are not good and all made in Mexico by circus midgets.

Dunno - I've had good luck with TRW, Airtex, Carter, and GMB (all aftermarket.)

Here's a stupid question - did you check for electrolysis in your cooling system? You can do it with a voltmeter - put one probe (positive, I think) in the coolant not touching anything, and touch the other probe to the filler neck, thermostat housing, or any other metal directly touching coolant. Should read less than +.1VDC/-.1VDC doing so.

Any time you get dissimilar metals in an ion bath (like coolant, when the additives wear down. Or when tap water is used. Or when there are dissolved solids/metals. Or...) you get a voltage generated - part of the additive package in coolant is a deioniser. When that wears out, metals will corrode galvanically - and that little voltage check tells you when there is potential for it.

You may have needed to flush out your cooling system rather more vigorously last time, which would be why your impeller vanes dissolved (nothing to do with coolant mix.)

I have heard that Hesco pumps have the issue of too much flow. Those of you that have them, Is that true? I already have the three row radiator and all new stuff as of last year. Must have not flushed everything out last year when I replaced it all. Cost me a water pump.

Mikey said:
I have heard that Hesco pumps have the issue of too much flow. Those of you that have them, Is that true? I already have the three row radiator and all new stuff as of last year. Must have not flushed everything out last year when I replaced it all. Cost me a water pump.

When I did mine I redid most of the cooling system. 3core rad, high flow Tstat and hesco tstat housing, high flow pump. In the winter I was seeing low temps, nothing I would consider Very low or near open loop. Seeing as Im in Az I want the most cooling I can get for summer, Ill likely switch out Tstats this winter. Or, theres write ups for simple flow restrictors to keep things in balance.

Id rather have to throttle back my cooling than worry about over heating out in the desert ; )

x4 on Hesco. one of the best "bang for buck" improvements for me by far. i also put in the "balanced thermostat" and housing at the same time. the engine immediately ran cooler around town and highway staying closer to 190ish instead of 200 or so, and it maintains 205-210 offroad consistently even with a/c on. very noticeable over stock even when new.

Mikey - i have not had flow probs, and did nothing other than install these parts.

* i am also running the stock radiator

Otter said:
x4 on Hesco. one of the best "bang for buck" improvements for me by far. i also put in the "balanced thermostat" and housing at the same time. the engine immediately ran cooler around town and highway staying closer to 190ish instead of 200 or so, and it maintains 205-210 offroad consistently even with a/c on. very noticeable over stock even when new.

Mikey - i have not had flow probs, and did nothing other than install these parts.

* i am also running the stock radiator

Are you running a 195 or 180 T-stat?

Back