• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering line

bxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi: Does anyone have any DIY advice or comments on makeing up some hard lines for the XJ steering box and pump ?-I was thinking about replaceing the old OEM and aftermarket ones with the correct end fittings + 3/8"-inch hard lines and bubble flares-I have a surplus of hard brake lines and was hoping that perhaps this would be a leak-proof and safe replacement-TIA

They're metric.

Get ISO-JIC adapters and do them with flared fittings and high-pressure hose - worked well for me. You should be able to get stuff like that at any fluid power dealer, Parker-Hannifin being the big one that has damned near anything on hand. Check your phone book.

(Full hard lines are not recommended - they'll fail due to vibration. That's the same reason my copper heater hoses have rubber hose stubs attaching them at the ends - they're called "vibration stubs.")

at least some portion of the line needs to be rubber, because the pump is on the engine and it moves independently from the chassis. if the entire lines are steel they will be prone to stress fractures and will eventually fail. also, the pressure line needs to have a suitable connector from rubber hose to steel line, hose clamps will not hold. thats why factory lines are crimped on. for the return line you can just use hose clamps to keep the rubber hose on the steel lines. make sure you get power steering or transmission cooler hose, the oil in the power steering fluid will eat right through gas or water type hoses.

hope this helps.

You would also loose the ability to adjust tension in the belt.

Back