• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

screeching sound

Redhotxjowner

NAXJA Forum User
Hi i have a 99 xj with a 6cyl 4.0l engine, 63k miles and when i start it in the morning with the a/c on it will screech if i give it gas until i turn of the a/c but when i get going and the engine hits 210 i can turn the a/c on and it won't make a sound does any one have suggestions on how to fix it

thnx
evan

may need just a new belt or tighten it up.

not sure if the HO are like the renix but you might be able to just snug it up

I was driving mine this morning and turned the A/C on, and the screeching was terrible. It stopped after a few seconds. I've already replaced the idler pulley and it has a new belt, so I think the noise is from belt slippage.

I wonder if using a better quality belt is the answer to the squeeling problem....? Seems to be very common; mine even squeals on start-up sometimes, especially the first one in the mornings......

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
I was driving mine this morning and turned the A/C on, and the screeching was terrible. It stopped after a few seconds. I've already replaced the idler pulley and it has a new belt, so I think the noise is from belt slippage.

I wonder if using a better quality belt is the answer to the squeeling problem....? Seems to be very common; mine even squeals on start-up sometimes, especially the first one in the mornings......

Goodyear Gatorback............ wont be disappointed, self cleaning and wont get glazed

Tighten the serpentine belt. This is easier than replacing pulleys or bearings. The extra drag of the A/C causes the belt to slip.

ya well i have a gatorback belt from goodyear and the belt has less than 1/2 an inch of play
does anyone know how much play in the belt there should be

changed idler pulley 3 times twice from napa and one from the chrysler dealer

will keep trying to fix thnx for the help

From elsewhere on the forum, others have posted that 1/4 inch of play is the norm. 1/8 up and 1/8 down. You may need to tighten the belt up just a hair more.

If tightening the belt doesn't solve the screeching, then most likely its the AC clutch gone bad; particularly in the later model XJ's.

I too fought the screech on my '98 and it turned out to be the AC clutch.

Back