• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need new axles

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
OK. I have a ~5" lift in the XJ now with 33" TSL Radials. My rear D35 is whining pretty bad and the front D30 is rusty inside the pumpkin. I have two more stock D30s and D35s sitting in parts Jeeps to swap in, but I feel this is more of a band-aid than a fix.

Over the next coule years, (as time and money permit), I want to go to 6-7" of lift and maybe 36" tires. That is as big as I will go. I want to put stronger axles in my Jeep. And yes, as cheaply as possible.

I have no welding/fab skills, but I can find someone who does to do that work for me. What do you guys suggest I look for for axles?

I do mostly mud and moderate trails without too many rocks. I don't do anything that gets me close to rolling the rig. There are just so many choices out there for axle swaps that I am not sure where to start.

I'm looking for something that is strong enough for the 36s, possibly locked, that I can do fairly cheap.

I know this similar questions has been asked a million times, but all I ever find is post telling people to search and most of them end up just telling the original poster to get D60s from a Ford.

If there is a web page or other topics with the exact info I am looking for, please feel free to post a link. I will be very appreciative of any helpful info you guys can offer.

TIA

ford 8.8 out of a 96+ explorer. almost the exact same width, same lug bolt pattern, disc brakes, 10 billion times stronger than a d35 and fairly cheap. http://www.lkqcorp.com/home/home.asp

got my 8.8 delivered to my front door from these guys for $150.
you have to cut off the old spring perches and shock mounts and weld new perches and mounts, re route some brake lines and thats about it. really great swap.

my d30 holds up well to 35's, just get some chromoly shafts and beefier u-joints, then gear it up.

my 8.8 is geared at 4.88 with a detroit ez-locker, after all parts and labor im into it approx $650-$700, ive seen d60's go for that much bare.

8.8 is the cheapest and best axle option for your particular application.

other options are dana 44's from an xj (very rare to find and very expensive) ford 9" from a bronco, 12 bolt, d60, waggy 44's, all of these require alot more modification than the 8.8.

Last edited:
My vote would be for Jeep Wagoneer D44s. There are a couple guys on NAXJA, running 37's with the D44s, so thats an option. Also, they should initially be cheaper to buy that D60s. Just my opinion.

I'm looking at basically the same lift height/tire size, and terrain as you are. My choice was an 8.8 for the rear because of simplicity, strength, easily available parts, and a large aftermarket support. I'm looking into doing a HP44 in the front cut down to Waggy width, using Waggy shafts. That will have about a 62" WMS in the front, and a 59.5 WMS in the back. When I put 1.25" wheel adapters on the back to change from 5x4.5 to 5x5.5(to match the front bolt pattern), the WMS in the rear will bump up to 62" which will have the track width the same front and rear, and allow me to use the same wheels front and rear, etc. I chose a HP44 front because I like things to be overbuilt a bit. A HP30 would do fine, but it would be at it's limit. A LP44(Waggy) in the front would be taking a step forwards and backwards at the same time. Like someone else said, do some reading and research and see what you think will work best for your situation.

Tommy4949 said:
Thanks for the replies guys. The links and info has been very helpful. What do you guys think of the 29 spline XJ 8.25 for 36s locked and no crazy rock crawling?

For maybe $100 more you could have the 8.8 instead which is a large jump from that. Once again you'd basically be at the limit of the axle, which is fine if that's your driving style.

Dave41079 said:
For maybe $100 more you could have the 8.8 instead which is a large jump from that. Once again you'd basically be at the limit of the axle, which is fine if that's your driving style.

Ya, I guess you are right. I'm on 33s now with my Trac-loc D35 and it is pretty wore out after only a few months of moderate wheeling and mudding. XJs are just so cheap and the ease of swapping axles without any fab work is too tempting.

I might go with the 29 spline 8.25 for now with my 33s. I found a 97 XJ for $200. Going to take a look at it today or this weekend. Needs a starter, alternator and rear hatch or bumper. Hoping it has the 8.25. Heck, if it is in good shape,(rust wise), it might become my new wheeling rig and replace my beat 90 XJ.:woohoo:

I am running a 27 spline 8.25 with no problems but I would go with a 8.8 out of a 96 or newer explorer and then a waggy front 44 and to match lug patterns run a spacer/adapter in the rear to match your widths and convert to the 6 lug waggy pattern. I have a friend that has this combo in his TJ and he beats the sh** out of it on the trail and hasn't broke yet. He is running 36" Iroks.

Chad29860 said:
I am running a 27 spline 8.25 with no problems but I would go with a 8.8 out of a 96 or newer explorer and then a waggy front 44 and to match lug patterns run a spacer/adapter in the rear to match your widths and convert to the 6 lug waggy pattern. I have a friend that has this combo in his TJ and he beats the sh** out of it on the trail and hasn't broke yet. He is running 36" Iroks.

Waggys are hard to come by up here, especially in the junk yards. The salty 6 month winters really eat 'em up and the JYs just don't hold onto them long. Plus with the price of scrap metal rising, these things are worth more to them as scrap. I'll keep an eye out though.

Any fab work required on he Waggy front D44s? I'm going to research it now...

EDIT: OK, I see. Leaf sprung front end in a Waggy.

Last edited:
Back