• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire pressure ?

brak

NAXJA Forum User
just got a 'new to me' 2001 XJ, it has 225/75/15's for tires on it on aftermarket wheels, looks like this is a size bigger than stock. (assumed from reading the door jamb sticker)

any idea what's a good PSI to run for this tire size ? they have 29 PSI in them now, max says 33 PSI.

i run in my 32s, 20psi on the road and usually 15 offroad, unless its tricky stuff then i air down to about 10-11, i like to stay at 15 though. but on road i say 20 is plenty and gives for good treadware too.

20 psi on the road???!! Isnt that way too low, maybe I run hight but I'm ~ 30 psi anything else and they bulge too much

Yeah I'd definatly start out at 30PSI and see how the tire wear goes. I wouldnt ever set the air to the max PSI unless you're carrying heavy loads.

i think the tread wear is perfect, the tires tread lays flat on the ground and of course lifts a small amount while driving. for me its great cause there are a lot of bumpy/dirt roads by me.

also, when i used to run up around 30, my tread wear would always be to focused on the tires center section.

Here's a trail tire pressure chart, that I've seen in many books.
It was made by John Williams of Oasis MFG.
Basically, just add 3psi per every 10mph over 20mph that you will be driving.

Pressure chart

Back