• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Question

LunchBox

NAXJA Forum User
Since the heat in Chicago has come on, I noticed my oil pressure with the engine warm is around 20 at idle. The previous owner maintained the Jeep well ran 5W30 in it for the past 150,000 miles.

Today was the first time I changed the oil in it. I decided to run a bottle of Seafoam thru the intake prior to the oil change. No problems there. Since the prior owner ran 5W30 for the life of the Jeep, I decided to follow suit. I put in Shell Rotella 5w30 and a Purolator oil filter.

Once the Jeep got up to temperature, the oil pressue hovered at 15 at warm idle.

Question is- why am I losing oil pressure? Did the oil make a difference? How do I get the oil pressure back up?

The previous owner maintained the Jeep well ran 5W30 in it for the past 150,000 miles.
===============================================================
Do you really know him? Sorry. some people lie. He may have put some gear lube in to keep the OP up at idle. Just to sell off the jeep. Happens all the time.

!5 PSI is at the limit. Try a 10W 40 next change.

Do you really know him? Sorry. some people lie. He may have put some gear lube in to keep the OP up at idle. Just to sell off the jeep. Happens all the time.

!5 PSI is at the limit. Try a 10W 40 next change.[/quote]

The guy was very meticulous and had tons of reciepts from a Pennzoil oil change place in Elgin, Il.

Following an oil change in my heep I extreamly low pressure. It was scary low a couple of times.

I changed the Oil Pres Sending unit. That bought me almost 20PSI in pressure. It was like 40 bucks and was a 15 minute job

What filter are you running? Fram's are notorious for giving crap for oil pressure.

Still though, 15psi at hot idle is within spec (I believe the min. is 13?). Mine sits at 20psi at hot idle running M1 10W30 with a Napa Gold filter.

i was running a fram filter on mine, its the one that was on it when i bought it. the other day my oil pressure dropped so low the check gauges light came on. at cold start this morning i was at 15 psi let it warm up and was down to 10 psi. i changed the oil to mobil 1 15w 50 and a mobil 1 oil filter. when i started the jeep back up it was then about 55 psi after warming up it dropped to about 30 psi, I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY OIL CHANGE.
FRAM SUCKS.

Back