• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grill and headlight trim

tinnocker30

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever painted their grill and head light trim black on a grey/light colored late model (1996-2001). I was wondering what it would look like on my silver-grey 2001. If you could post pictures I would appreciate it.

I was looking for the late model -1996 to 2001- pictures. I had the grill and headlight trim off while doing some headlight wiring and thought they might look good painted satin black to match my winch bumper. Now they came from the factory grey to match the rest of the body. I would like to see a picture before I do it. As was posted, it may look cheap. Thanks

kennzz05 said:
AS I HAD THE BLACK GRILL/ LIGHT BEZELS ORIGINALLY IM NOT A FAN OF THEM I WENT WITH CROME BLACK LOOKED CHEAP TO ME

Respectfully, I disagree with your sentiment. I think the chrome on the 97-01 models looks cheap and poorly implemented, but that's just me.

My '92 Laredo (burgundy with grey trim) originally came with chrome (grill, headlight doors, mirrors, door handles), and it looked fine to me.

I had a minor accident a year and a half ago that claimed the bumper, header panel, and RF fender (not to mention the plastic chrome bits up front); when the body shop fixed it, they installed a black grill and headlight doors.

IMHO, I think the black looks orders of magnitude better than the chrome - takes a couple years' worth of age off the look, and makes me think "tuxedo" at times.

I agree with the photochop suggestion - have at it and see how it looks. Alternately, have you got a friend with a similar vintage model in black that'd let you swap those parts for an afternoon?

IMO...im not a big fan of chrome on my XJ or MJ...i feel chrome is for a "show" vehicle...on my 90 Laredo i pulled the chrome grill, headlight bezels and mirrors off in favor of black and a 97 mirror set in black...much better looking

offroader461 said:
IMO...im not a big fan of chrome on my XJ or MJ...i feel chrome is for a "show" vehicle...on my 90 Laredo i pulled the chrome grill, headlight bezels and mirrors off in favor of black and a 97 mirror set in black...much better looking

but my blingtastic chrome door handles are metal vs the plastic black ones i ripped off :laugh: bling is more stronger

Back