• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two things, trans cooler and holes in the firewall

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
First, I want to get a trans cooler because I rhino-lined my interior and now my tranny tunnel gets too hot to touch after running for a while. Where did you guys mount your coolers so they were out of the way?

Also, when I hit mud pits that are deep enough water shoots through the hole in my firewall and gets everywhere, does this happen to everyone? And is there a way to fix it?

1) Transmission coolers are typically mounted on the front of the radiator - and they don't cause any trouble there. Since you seem to encounter mud an awful lot, I'd not consider a "frame rail" cooler (long and narrow) anyhow - you'll coat the thing and spend half of your time rinsing it.

2) For the firewall, soft plastic/rubber plugs are usually used to block those holes - if you can't find them at a parts house, try asking nicely at a body shop (measure the holes first!) Failing that, you can check at your local hardware store, but that's a bit iffy (most of the stuff they're likely to have won't be formulated to handle heat and/or organic solvents.) When you stick them in, I find a little bit of RTV black around the lip will help seal and hold them in place

My trans cooler is mounted high on the firewall, bolted to the upper and lower core support. If you mount it horizontal up towards the top core support (look at the www.jeepin.com review and install instrucitons) it should stay mostly out of the mud.

Thats basically how mine is mounted except I moved it to the center.Heres my logic:the pass side of the radiator is the incoming(hot) side,so I didnt want to cut off to much air.Also this way the trans cooler always gets some air from the mechanical fan but can also benifit from the electric fan when needed.

go to a marine store and see if they have a bulkhead passthrough. I used one on my firewall and it worked great. I can cap it off if I wanted to. Think of it as a large hollow bolt with a nut that spins on so it clamps to a bulkhead and still allows wires and such through.

granted I got this one from my dad and I have no clue where he got it

The part I left out about mud shooting through the hole in my firewall is that the hole mud is shooting for is for the gas pedal... Also I was reading about replacement radiators, and alot of the reviews mentioned hooked up an automatic transmission to the radiator, but if you have a manual to just plug the holes up in the radiator. Why can't I hook a manual transmission up to a radiator?

wolfpackjeeper said:
because your manual does not circulate fluid to the radiator to be cooled like an auto does.

DUH......:gee: ................:roflmao:

yeah, you're not going to be able to cool down your manual trans

there's a reason that there is insulation under the carpet.

Theres supposed to be a rubber boot there,just seal it up with some silicone.

Back