• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axel ??? doing rear brakes

Only two brake sizes have every existed on XJ's. If you have a Dana 44, it will have 10" brakes as OEM. Everything else had 9" brakes.

I recommend, (to be certain), that you pop a wheel and measure the OD of the drum. A 9" drum will be about 9.5-9.75" across the outside. The 10" drum will be correspondingly larger.

what year? my 89 with dana 35 has 10 inch drums.i believe that the dana 35 from 1991 and up have 9 inch drums.

Dang!

YOU'RE ALL WRONG! :D

Most of the early (pre-91) Dana 35s had 10" x 1.75" brakes, and the Dana 44 axles got 10" x 2.5" brakes, but I have been told by a usually reliable source that he once owned an XJ with a Dana 35 that came from the factory with 10" x 2.5" brakes.

Beginning in 1991, Chrysler changed everything over to 9" x 2.5"

Thank you, Eagle for clearing this up. I knew that 91's and on used the 9 inch brakes, but did not know that virtually everything before that used the 10 inch brakes.

Ok then why did AZ ask me which size of 10" brakes (1.75" or 2.5")? I'm driving a 91 limited axle is a D35 open diff(shoot) I guess I'll just have to take them off and measure before I go shopping again. But it would be nice to know what the deal is.

Back