• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stereo Install Question

Jester99

NAXJA Forum User
I figured I would post this here since I think I might get a faster response than in Street and Performance. I'm about to order a new head unit because the display is starting to burn out and I'm sick of replacing that stupid cassette to cd/ipod adapter. I know very little about wiring but I feel like this is something I can do on my own. Should I take this somewhere and have it installed or is something relatively easy I can do myself? Here is the head unit...

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=130P3000IB&tp=5684

They set up with all you need, it is pretty simple to do a switch. Make sure your connections are good. I have use crimp connections and little wire nuts with no issues on any installs. Take your time, then Rock!

Do it yourself! If you're comfortable doing some basic wiring, then installing a new head is pretty easy. The hardest might be getting the dash apart.

I would recommend calling Crutchfield to order the deck. They can make sure that you get any wiring and/or installation hardware you might need, as well as answer any questions you have. I haven't dealt with them in a while, but they always had really good customer support.

You will probably need a wiring adapter to connect to the factory wiring harness. You might also need an installation hardware kit.

Don't forget to pick up some type of connectors. I like the crimp-on "bullet" connectors for their speed and ease of use. A crimper/stripper will make it a little easier too. You could also solder the cnxs and heat shrink them.

Once you have everything, it's just a matter of removing the old radio, making a few cnxs and putting the dash back together.

For a first time install, read everything that comes with the head unit and adapters before you begin. Instruction manual, instructions, etc. You might find something that keeps you from getting stuck somewhere along the way.

Whatever you do don't use wire nuts

Those are made for a house not a car

I install for a living and always laugh when I see one done with wire nuts

Where is the auto section in home depot?

Thats right they don't have one.

Good luck it's pretty straight forward if you get the kit and the harness

I just installed a Crutchfield stereo in my '87 2 weeks ago. I called them at 6:00 on Sunday and got a live person. I thought I would just get a recording with their hours. Their service is the best and the price includes the wire harness adaptor and mounting bracket. No need to cut the factory plug off the factory wiring harness. All your splices will be from the adaptor harness to the leads on the new player.

I bought the Dual brand CD player for the same price, $129, because I wanted the HD radio (it is great) and the USB port for MP3.

Another satisfied Crutchfield customer here. Bought two radio's from them in the past, and some speakers for the XJ recently...and i'll be buying another radio from them in a couple of weeks.

You'll get all the wiring you need, the mounting bracket, and instructions on how to wire it and how to take the dash apart if you've never done so (takes all of 2 minutes, if that).

Stereo install is easy on a Cherokee. Simply pull from the bottom of the center bezel. It just press on. Moving the gear selector to Drive makes it a little easier to remove. There are I think two screws or bolts that hold the radio in place. With Crutchfield they supply the mount and wiring harness. If you know how to solder you can use solder and put heat shrink around the wires for a good solid connection. If you don't you could probably simply strip the wire, twist it together, and then use electrical tape to protect/hold it together. May not be the best but it'll work. I've installed many head units and always order thru Crutchfield. I am looking into them right now for another stereo.

Greg

The best advice I have is to get the right wiring harness/adapter. No bullet connectors, you'll use the factory connection block. Chances are pretty good that the color codes on the head unit and the harness will match, don't worry about matching harness to vehicle.

Personally, I prefer soldered connections with heatshrink insulation, good crimp connections are a second choice. Stay away from wire nuts, they'll never stay tight in a vehicle application.

Where to buy? The last h/u I bought was an Alpine, 5 years ago outside of Chicago. The local Tweeter shop beat Crutchfield's prices and had everything in stock.

ChiXJeff said:
...No bullet connectors, you'll use the factory connection block. ..
Use the bullets to connect the pigtail from the head unit to the wiring adapter. Plug the adapter into the factory connector.

duntov said:
...you could probably simply strip the wire, twist it together, and then use electrical tape to protect/hold it together.
DO NOT DO THAT!

as long as your wiring hasnt been butchered, then you will have no problem wiring it yourself, like said above, the hardest part will be pulling the dash apart,

whitetrashxj said:
as long as your wiring hasnt been butchered, then you will have no problem wiring it yourself, like said above, the hardest part will be pulling the dash apart,

You DON'T want to see mine then......

I had to patch the poor bastid back together.....

UNCC_99XJ said:
Another satisfied Crutchfield customer here. Bought two radio's from them in the past, and some speakers for the XJ recently...and i'll be buying another radio from them in a couple of weeks.

You'll get all the wiring you need, the mounting bracket, and instructions on how to wire it and how to take the dash apart if you've never done so (takes all of 2 minutes, if that).

x2. In the past, I've purchased several head units, and 4 pairs of speakers through crutchfield. No complaints on any of it. For the first install, directions were really a plus.

[hijack] UNCC_99XJ- which speakers did you go with, and what do you think of them? The one thing I don't like about Crutchfield- if anything is off by 1/100th of an inch, they list it as a no fit, and I've never seen a comprehensive list of speakers installed with no issues or major hacking by Jeep owners. [/hijack]

Can anyone tell me what kind of crimp connectors I need to use, sizes etc.?

Back