• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Lockrite problem

After doing my ball joints i decided it would be a good time to put my Lockrite in my D30. I followed the writeup on DPG and got to this point.
lockri19.jpg

So it was time to put the pinion/cross shaft back it, but I cant slide the shaft past the two spacers inside the drivers. The spacers seem to be about an 1/8 too close to each other. Did i do something wrong? I have the fat end of the spacers facing the teeth and the two thrust washers on the couplers.

Any help would be appreciated. I need this thing back on the road by noon tomorrow so if I cant figure out this whole pinion shaft problem would I be okay driving with out the pinion shaft as long as I don't put it in 4?

Thanks a lot.

God.... I just did this install a few weeks ago and it seemed like I ran into the same problem. Are you sure that the fat end of the spacers go towards the outside of the carrier. It seems to me like that is backwards. I dont have me install book with me though.

Dpg and the hand book says that but I don't know how your supposed to get the dang thing it. Its just too narrow.

Positive it is backwards. The thin part of the spacers should point towards the outside of the carrier... if that makes any since.

=====< ][ >======
axel c ss c axle

c=carrier
s=spacer

hope this helps

I'm going to try that, maybe I'm misunderstanding the instructions.

Thanks a lot for the help man

No worries. Hope you get it done. Not to hijack your thread, but I got my lockrite through 4wheelparts and they just today sent me my new cross shaft today. I've heard that the stock shaft works ok but im pissed that they sent it weeks later.

That was it, Thanks again Downhill. I got mine from 4wp too, but i held off until I did the balljoints and then one day I got a package from them with the cross shaft. Then I figured out that they were backordered when the locker came.

Ran into the same problem installing one in a toyota front axle this past weekend. The instructions make it sound like the internal spacers should be installled oposite of what they need to be. There is a little ring groove on the outside coupler that the this side of the spacer rides into when it is installed correctly. This will give you the clearance needed to get the center pin in.

Back