• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 cherokee noise in dash

KB2ROCKET

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4wd 2001 cherokee and every once and a while I will hear a noise in the dash area "crack" almost like it got hot or cold and it is finding a new set very strange
also I never take this jeep off road but just for kicks I tryed shifting it into 4 wheel high that was not so bad but getting it into netural or 4 wheel low was real hard
is this normal its almost as if the linkage is binding what can I do
Thanks

I have a 1997 cherokee and it did the same thing occasionally in all situations, but would always do it the worst when the temperature change was large, cold at night warm during the day. It was a rather loud crack, sometimes it'd kinda make me jump, haha. Anyway since I took my dash out to replace the evaporator it has'nt happened and that was about a month ago. I dunno, I never really worried about it especially since my friend who had a 98 wrangler had the same thing happen.

As far as the 4 wheel drive thing goes, maybe try looking at the linkages underneath or maybe you got a coin or something holding up the lever.

Guess I really didnt really help you, but I had the same cracking sound and never experienced any ill effects.

KB2ROCKET said:
I have a 4wd 2001 cherokee and every once and a while I will hear a noise in the dash area "crack" almost like it got hot or cold and it is finding a new set very strange.
X2. Mine is a very audible POP, not unlike a small caliber handgun. I have not figured it out but I am sort of getting used to it.

Maybe you already know this, but make sure that you are completely stopped, then put the transmission in neutral before you try to shift the transfer case into neutral or low.

this is my first 4wd anything I did know that you had to stop before shifting the transfer case but I put it in park rather than netural wouldnt that have the same effect as putting it in netural?

My dash makes a loud pop/crack at times, especially during the colder months of the year. Haven't heard it in a long while so I assume it has something to do with a temperature change from cold to hot.

yes I think you are right it seems to be a temp. thing after it is baking in the florida sun I get in and crank the a/c "crack pop" I guess its a jeep thing :)
anymore input about shifting the transfer case? it gos into 4w high with no problem but netural and low are difficult

Uh...... Its a jeep thing. Kinda like the window switches and the radio coming on when you open the door. Don't woory about it you'll be fine!

yjKrawlerboy thanks for the help
like I said this is my first 4wd ever
putting it in park dosent help at all but putting it in netural made it work perfect
Im such a dope thanks :)

Back