• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear 1/4 panels, anyone do anything else to cover up?

JrTxJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have a pre97 c4x4 bumper on my 2001 xj and now my rear 1/4 panels are exposed. i'm trying to figure out what would look best...i still have stock fenders so unless i trim, i think the cut and fold mod would look a little off. the other would be to paint it with bedliner or herc and have it match the actual bumper.

has anyone done anything different with that section? a local member suggested i get the front door trim and use it to cover the brackets/holes but that would still leave the edge/channel below the fender flare exposed.

any new or creative ideas? any help is appreciated! thanks

i emailed marty about those...thanks for the suggestion. didn't they use to have a cheaper aluminum version? i don't wheel really so i'm not worried about crushing them.

i would love what you did! but i don't know how to weld and have no access really to anyone that's good enough and wouldn't charge me. i was looking at that earlier though...your xj looks great!

If you're going for just looks, here's my ghetto fab. Not very strong, and won't stand up to much abuse, but you said you didn't wheel much so this should work fine.

I used I believe either 14 or 16 gauge sheetmetal from ye old local hardware store. Used my CAD machine (cardboard aided design) and got the shape I wanted, bent it literally with my hands (like I said, not real sturdy) and used screws to put it into place. I wanted to simply cover the nasty dents, and pretty soon I'm doing the same thing Eric's XJ did with the cut and fold/metal bar to the rear bumper idea. I also have the pre-97 C4x4 rear bumper on my 2000, and honestly I blends in fairly well. If you have advanced tools like a table clamp it'd be even easier to bend and shape them correctly.

Linky: http://rides.webshots.com/album/547701125pENsRL
http://community.webshots.com/user/chris550

Chris

Last edited:
I saw some rear quarter panel things that had integrated rear lighting holes in them also (for round led lighting). I'm not sure what thread it was in, but it was pretty recent. A search should uncover it pretty easily.

Back