• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cb radio

KML04 said:
I hear Uniden radios and Firestik antennas are popular and affordable. I just ordered one- should have it tomorrow and try it out next weekend.
X2 Just make sure to tune the antenna in to your particular set up. Go to the Firestik web site for some nice info on how, and why this is important.

Nobody else is using a radio? I'm in the market for a new one. Looking at the Cobra WX NW ST 29. Anyone have any input on this unit?

I have 2 of those Cobras and love them. One in my XJ and the other in our company tow vehicle. The night glow interface is worth all the dough in my mind, I think I paid 100 for my first one and then scored the other at a garage sale for 10 bucks. Both radios are tuned and running Firestiks.

Great range!

[FONT=&quot]For the FireStiks is it worth going for a 4' over a 3'? I want to get their 3' or 4' FS, and run the Firestiks box that uses the CB antenna for am/fm radio. I want to then shave the stock antenna.

I am thinking of getting their side mounts, and mounting the antenna still on the front Quarter panel but lower and on the side. What would be the best place to put a firestick? It looks like most people mount it on the pass rear area.[/FONT]

Magus2727 said:
[FONT=&quot]For the FireStiks is it worth going for a 4' over a 3'? I want to get their 3' or 4' FS, and run the Firestiks box that uses the CB antenna for am/fm radio. I want to then shave the stock antenna. [/FONT]
Do you have a link to this box? I might have to try that.

[FONT=&quot]it wont let me link it but you go to:

http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

and then the top has a button for Mounts and accessories click that.

Then scroll all the way down to the bottom (on the left side scroll bar) and there is a link 3 from the bottom titled Splitter,CB/AM/FM

MSRP is at 18 bucks

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Radio - any Cobra, Uniden or Midland

Antenna - 3-4 foot, Firestik or Wilson

AM/FM/CB splitters have been around since 8-track tapes were popular and they still are not worth the postage to get one.

Use a real CB antenna.

Tim_MN said:
AM/FM/CB splitters have been around since 8-track tapes were popular and they still are not worth the postage to get one.
I think he's wanting to use a CB antenna for the AM/FM, not the other way around.

[FONT=&quot]that attachment lets you tune your CB antenna to act as a AM/FM radio. It allows for each channel (CB and am/fm) to get tuned individually so you don’t have to compromise your CB tune.

I dont want to sound like I am being a jerk but please check out the product i was refering to before assuming what I may have been talking about. I know there is no point in using a AM/FM antenna for a CB radio. I might as well roll my windows down and shout. I think I would get better distance and better clarity doing it that way, then trying to use my stock antenna to a CB.
[/FONT]

MONSTERxbla said:
anybody have any experiece with cb's or any suggestions on what to get?

There are a number of threads on file of this exact question. I recomend you search a bit to see if there is something not covered here..

I like smaller radios. I have a Uniden Pro 520XL, and it works for what I use it for. I like the RF gain, because I can limit the cross channel spatter from "skip" by turning it down a bit. Cobra also makes a remote microphone model which some people like.

I use a Larson base load. Nice antenna, uses a NMO mount. The reason for the bottom load antenna is that I Off-Road, alot. I have seen Firesticks laying on the trail because the mount would not hold them once a tree grabbed them.

is it worth the money to get one that has a upgraded mosfet peak & tune? the store wants about 40 more bucks for this "upgrade" over a stock radio.

Back