• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering shaft pop

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
About a week after replacing bad front axle, trackbar, stabilizer, steering linkage, u-joints, etc. I have a new problem that was not there before. When turning the steering wheel either direction, I get a popping sound that is coming from the steering shaft (I know it is from the steering shaft its that obvious). Would changing all the other parts have caused this to loosen somehow, and if so what would I tighten? What can I do other than replace it? I dont think the u-joint in the shaft is serviceable, but is there any place I can lube to try and kill the noise?

And if I need to replace it, what years steering shafts are compatible with my 99? Thanks

A popping noise comes when something in your steering suddenly shifts its position. I had a similar popping noise on my '99 that had after market steering on it. Thought it could have been the steering shaft, but since I have upgraded to a different steering, it no longer does it, meaning that it was something on my previous steering. I am now almost positive that I had a bad tie rod end. It seems that one of the ends would shift suddenly when turning one direction, causing the popping noise. I would take a look at your TRE's and see if you can see anything like what I described.

As far as other possibilities, if it is indeed your steering shaft, then something must have come loose, possibly your steering box? That is just a shot in the dark though cause I'm not sure. Other possibilities are things that you've already mentioned: the bolt on the passenger side of the track bar could have come loose (I had that happen too), but I don't see the steering stabilizer making any noise when it expands or contracts. Just look everything over again and be 100% positive that it's your steering shaft before you try looking for a solution. For your sake, I hope it's something more simple.

All my steering is new, and properly torqued. Unless they were defective, all the TRE should be good since they are all new also. When I have the hood open and am looking at the steering shaft I can pretty much pinpoint the sound, which happens with any input of the steering wheel.

I will check all the bolts on the steering box and see if I can find anything on the steering shaft itself to work on.

not to hijack the thread, but im having the same issue with a friend's jeep(88). it makes a pop when i trun the wheel to either side(engine running or off), it takes a little pressure, but it does pop. the steering linkage has just been changed to zj tie rod and drag link setup, and everything underneath looks good including the track bar(cant see any movement). the pop noise sounds like its comming from the shaft, near the firewall.

i have to look into it a little more, right now the steering box or the ujoiints on the shaft are suspect. but any input would be appreciated, and if i find anything out ill be sure to post it here.

edit: another symptom i have is the steering doesnt naturally return to center.

Last edited:
No worries on hi-jacking, I also have the ZJ steering, just put it in last week. Ive checked it for clearance but maybe something isnt fitting right if we both have the same problem now? My sound also seems to be coming from inside the engine bay. I will post up with more if I find anything as well.

Several things can cause the popping. Historically I have found that the Track bar bracket is a common culpret. Other common causes are a cracked frame where the steering gear mounts and a worn out bearing in the steering gear on the sector shaft. The only real way to tell is to have somebody get in and turn the wheel back and forth while you physically put your hand on each joint and possible cause to isolate the popping.

well, as much as i was sure it wasnt the trackbar, i think it is. its a new trackbar, and we tightened the bejeezuz out of it, but when i hold it while someone turns the wheel i can feel the pop on the trackbar(cant feel it on anything else), the movement isnt visible to the eye. at least thats my working theory right now.

the steering box is also probably shot though(as noted, wont return to center naturally). no time to do anything in the week, but this weekend i will take out the upper trackbar mount and either replace(j/y) or weld on a new piece of metal and see if that eliminates the pop.

just an update for this steering pop case, its was the frame mounted trackbar mounbt, the hole was wallowed out and caused the popping. $5 at the junkyard and its all fixed, we replaced the steering gear too! much better than before.

i might just have to replace my steering gear soon now, but this weekend is dual diaphragm booster time :)

Back