• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Funny AW4 problem

HBDBRacing

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 XJ with 4.0 and my tranny is acting strange. When I stomp on the peddle I am getting no power the RPM's go to 3000 and sit there while the tranny stumbles to up shift and ends in not being able to shift. Once I let off the gas a bit it shifts just fine.

It seems the problem only occures under heavy throttle.

Its acting like a vacume leak but its electronic so Im guessing maybe the shift module? The TPS is brand new along with the CSPS.

Any ideas?

Have you adjusted the TPS?? Though on the newer models (post renix) they may not be adjustable.

Also, adjust the kickdown cable.

Depress the button on the cable (underhood), pull the sheath back as far as it will go and the crank the throttle to wide open. The cable will then ratchet as it adjusts......

poorboy_616 said:
Have you adjusted the TPS?? Though on the newer models (post renix) they may not be adjustable.

Also, adjust the kickdown cable.

Depress the button on the cable (underhood), pull the sheath back as far as it will go and the crank the throttle to wide open. The cable will then ratchet as it adjusts......
x2, and no you can't adjust the HO TPS, but that doesn't mean that it's not bad. I think that it is the kickdown cable also. The cable adjusts the line pressure in the trans and sounds like the problem to me, but I am also having trouble recalling whether or not it's adjustable on HO models.

91-02 TPS is not adjustable. Sounds like an electrical problem between the TPS and the TCU, or between the TCU and the electric solenoids in the transmission, possible loose wire, or loose ground.

X2 on checking the kickdown cable.

Also, did the tranny get new fluid recently, if so, did they put the right stuff in it, Dexron III only!

JXPEEJ said:
Sounds like a FUEL problem to me.
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? See if the pressure drops when it acts up.

You were correct I quit reading this thread right after I posted it.

But yah I pulled the pump out of the tank and the strainer wasnt on the pump it was in the pump cleaned it out problem solved.

Back