• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise from the rear end

jimbow912

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting a noise coming from the rear end only when I get on the gas when I get off it gos a way I pulled the diff cover and looked and I did not see anything I do have 4:56s but it just started it gets louder the fast I get

Could be gear whine. How many miles on the new gears? What gears did you put in? I used a set of genuine gear 4:10's once, they were just plain noisey.

Also could be a tired Ujoint in the rear drive shaft.

GasX can often fix noise from the rear end. :roflmao:

you didnt give alot of info to work with but 8.25" rears are known for being "noisy" however if it just started i'd be concerned. how old are the gears? used gears often give issues as well.

Ol' Red said:
I had similar symptoms (whining as i gave it gas, stopped when i let off) and needed new ring and pinion gears :bawl:

Depends on the sound.

A growl when on the gas, but not in coast is pinion bearings. When these get loose, you can move the yoke up and down abit and probably have a bit of seal leak.

Whining is another thing and usually indicates badly setup gears.

its a 8.25 29 spline rear end and they are genuine gears im guessing a couple 1000 miles on them I had a buddy of mine ride in the back to try to pin point where it may be coming from and said it sounds like more on the pasenger side in the rear im not quite sure but it is coming from the rear. I am puting a locker in the rear with dubble heat treated axles so if it holds out till then ill have bay state off road look at it, still throw some answers at me I like to know

Back