• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ/ other Jeep Compressor issues and questions

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Following this wanted thread cause my AC compressor in my 98 XJ took a dump: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=960248

Ok, well I found a compressor today, attached to an engine, sitting on a trailer, and it spins freely. So, I pulled it off the engine and brought it home with me.

The issues are,
1) I was told it was out of a 99 grand
2) I don't think it was due to the facts that the engine had the wrong motor mounts on it for a grand (has XJ/TJ/YJ mounts), and there is an R12 sticker on it.

But, it was free... and spins freely, so that's nice.

More issues:
1) if I wanted to hook it up, the inlet/outlet is off the back of the thing, not the top.
2) it was converted at some point for use as an air compressor for OBA.
3) the casting number on the top of it is 709T and mine is 709D

My questions:
1) can I take the back part off of my compressor (it looks to bolt on, and both appear to have the bolt patterns) and swap that to this one so that I can hook AC back up?
2) is it advisable to use a compressor for AC that was used for OBA.
3) should I just put it in as a free idler pulley till I come across one that fits
4) if I do that should I worry about the rest of the system then being open to the atmosphere?
5) does anyone know what this thing was really out of?

Last edited:
Back