• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this a good stroker route?

SourApple

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone see a problem with the route that i want to take

4.0 block/4.2rods/4.2 crank

677cp pistons/mopar performance .053 head gasket/ no decking

will the quench be sufficient?

can someone who is running bigger valves (2.02/1.60) or other tell me how they like vs leaving the stock ones?

also what clutch are you guys running with your strokers. stock? centerforce I/II ? thanks alot for the help, Mike

I wonder what my quench is? Using a stock 4.0 piston with no decking and a stock headgasket. Wonder if I could get any power from going to a thinner HG?

Edit, sorry its your thread lol. Combo sounds good, the valve size increase should help a ton. I have a spare 4.0 head I should do this all to :D

i think the bigger valves are a good idea as well. the smoother and less restricted intake and exhaust are the better, that way less power goes to getting to the next cycle and more to the wheels... but i will disclaim that i do not have a stroker and have not ridden in or driven one.

thinner head gaskets can make a difference. it depends what your compression ratio is in terms of how much it will help, but it will help a little. an alternative to a traditional gasket is copper. it creates an excellent seal and you can make it thinner. i'm not familiar with what pistons are being used in strokers, but a domed piston will also help decrease the combustion chamber drastically.

...i feel like i should know, but how thick is the stock head gasket and what is quench? i know a fair bit about modifying engines and i'm well on my way to my mechanical engineering degree, i just haven't heard that term before.

quench is the space between the flat ( not domed) part of the piston and the corresponding part of the domes ( not the valves) ..or somehting like that. stock jeep quench is/should be within .040 and .080 otherwise you will ping and detonate.. i think?

can any stroker guys help. i want to do this right the first time. thanks

cool, thanks. going by your definition of quench, if you increase it beyond .080" it will have negative power effects but should not cause compression detonation. it will effectively be increasing the volume of the combustion chamber and therefore decreasing compression ratio.

try searching/posting in the advanced engineering section for more stroker specific help? perhaps send a PM to STROKER. he's got one, hence his name...

lots of stroker tech in street and performance.

when I buillt mine, I decked the block 30 thousandths, and I did the head level. I used an off the shelf cast piston, and the felpro head gasket from advanced auto. I run 89 or 93 gas depending on the temperature, and I have had 0 problems in 12k miles.

The stock quench is .0725": .051" for the head gasket and .0215" for the deck clearance, which is the distance from top of piston @TDC(top dead center) to the deck/top of the block with the head off. I had my block decked .030" and head .004". My quench is .0610-25": .051"HG and .010-0115" for the deck clearance. Ideally, you want it to be b/t .040-.060".

wolfpack..how do you like your stroker?

gradon, thanks for the reply. doesnt the deck clearence change via different aftermarket pistons? I was also trying to stay away from decking of the 677p pistons and head gasket make a sufficeint quence with the 4.2 rods because decking the block will cost me 200 alone.

I love it. I am going into withdrawal right now because I was not able to move it with me right off the bat when I moved to florida, hopefully I will go get it from my friend soon. It is a night and day difference. It moves the same with 4 people and 33"tires pulling a boat, as my other cherokee does stock with just me. I have had very few problems with it, and most of that was getting the right injectors. 12k miles and it was still running strong last I heard from my buddy

still looking for someone to help me with what decking( if need) and pistons to go with to get a good quench

i didnt really even consider it and mine runs great, deck them both back to level unless you want to do a lot of math and hope dont worry, it is a lot of extra time and expense to get it just right. I am very happy with my build and probably would not change anything.

Back