• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water resivor bottle on 88xj

cowboyb65

NAXJA Member #1201
i would like to get rid of the plastic water bottle on the jeep i bought a new one from the dealer last yr and its cracked again so i would like to go with a steel or remove it all together seen a good way but no links to get parts any links out there ?? getting tired of paying $100. on plastic bottles

They are also called 'surge tanks' available at a variety of different speed and hot rod sites. Summit racing sell them too, eagle here put on in his a couple of years ago..takes a normal radiator cap too.

I did this over a year ago and have had no roblems with it.

was having problems with my 90 XJ pressure cap holding pressure, the local NAPA didn't have one in stock and I was noticing a crack forming in the bottle.
Of course there were none to be had at he local U-Pull-It, so I started searching for an alturnative to changing over to the 91 and later system (I had just changed the rad over to a new copper and brass 2 row unit. My search of the wrecking yard came up with 2 possibilities, late 90's Ford Crown Vic or Dodge Intrepid and its cousins, being an old MoPar guy I chose the Intrepid.

I removed the old bottle and the shelf it was mounted on, the Intrepid bottle fit like it was made for the XJ.

The lower hose was almost a exact fit, I didnt have to but I replaced it with a short piece of bulk 5/8" and it was a exact fit on both ends.

The upper hose was a little bit of a problem I had to adapt from 5/8" to 3/8", a trip to the hardware store and I found the brass adapters I needed.

The total project including the trip around the junk yard took me 2 hrs and loks like a factory installation

Do a search on my user name fo a link to the pix.

Your pic dont work no more in that thread, I was actually doing some search cheap mods and stumbled upon your post. But I think he gets that he can find it in some 90's intrepids and other MoPars of the era.

Back