• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing switches

jeepdeez

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking for some good places to install a couple switches. I want to install them on the bezel but I don't want to cut any holes until I know for sure where I can put them. Dremel in hand, anybody got any ideas or maybe some links to some pics of installed switches? Thanks in advance!

Year?

Don't forget that the dash has space for several switches on either side of the steering column. If you have an overhead console, you should also have room for switches on the front of the console - more if you remove the doors for sunglasses and/or garage door opener and replace them with ABS panels.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Stallacrew said:

WOW, that's pretty dang slick! I usually just drill in under the driver's side of the dash - it's close to the fuse box on my '88, it's easy reaching, and out of site for would-be thieves who are LOOKING for an off-road vehicle with accessories hehe.

I do like that box idea, though, what a cool place for switches!

here's mine :) Same concept stolen from fitch.

DSC01933.jpg

DSC01941.jpg

I have yet another question about relays....when should they be used? I read through Fitch's page and he is pretty swift with that stuff but I still dont understand if I need them or not.

What a relay does:

You have a 12v hot wire and also a ground wire to the relay.

You also have a "signal wire" which is hot which simply activates the relay. A relay is like a solenoid valve. You have the power routed where you need it and to turn on that valve you just press the switch to let the water flow and it doesn't have to go out of its way to your dash to get where you need it.

And to simplify and increase power, you ground your equipment near the stuff so you don't run a wire all the way to the engine bay.

All you do is open the relay from a distance rather than routing everything to you then to it.

Might have over explained it, but you get the idea.

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=43

Thats all you need to start out. ^^^^

--Alex

Disclaimer: I use FitchVA's page simply cause he did a great job with the pictures and has additional side notes along with him being an electrical genius ( I would've never thought of it). This is NOT my material I am linking to and all due respect should be paid to him not me.

Hallo Jeepers. I prefer to switch my relays in a safe way like Magimerlin is doing .
A hot bridge between pins 30 and 86. and you have only to switch the cold wire from pin 85 in the cabin to ground.
Also a nice place for switches is before the autohandle on the middleconsole. (coinbox?)

Last edited:
wim hoppenbrouwers said:
Hallo Jeepers. I prefer to switch my relays in a safe way like Magimerlin is doing .
A hot bridge between pins 30 and 86. and you have only to switch the cold wire from pin 85 in the cabin to ground.
Also a nice place for switches is before the autohandle on the middleconsole. (coinbox?)

Could you give me a link so I can see what he did? :scottm:

The idea behind relays is to keep the power flow closer to the accessories, and only run the larger wiring as short as possible.

For instance, one of the earlier posters notes that he uses CAT5 twisted pair cable for his overhead switch console connection. This cable is NOT suitable for high power applications.

Put another way, a relay is a remotely controlled switch. Yes, this means that for a lot of this stuff, there are 2 switches in the circuitry. The relay on the sense side has the overhead switch in series. The power side has 12ga or 10ga wiring to hand the big power requirements.

Here's another simple example: relay controlled lighting harnesses. The original headlight cabling is connected into the sense side of the relay. This wiring is known for being somewhat undersized and long as it runs all the way into the cab into the headlight switch. As a result, the headlights often don't see full battery voltage due to the wiring drop. Once a relay harness is used, the wiring from headlight to battery is now much shorter, and much heavier, so there is practically no voltage drop.

Back