• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

if not mtr's for the rocks, then what?

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I had finally settled on a tire for my rig but now I'm not so sure. I have been seeing some comments saying that mtrs may not be that great in the rocks. what do you guy suggest? I want 35's on a 15"x8" rim. It's not a dd but I will be driving it to the trails...about an hour away. I also thought about bfg's mt's and maxxis creepy crawlers (I know that they are bias plys, but does anybody have any experience with them?) thanks

I hate to say it... search. there must be 200+ "which tire" threads on here.

I say screw searching just buy some les schwab ats they will get you anywhere... sorry I am just in a smartass mood today but yes I bet lots of people have good input on this somewhere around this site

whatevah said:
I hate to say it... search. there must be 200+ "which tire" threads on here.

x2 but i'll still put my .02 in.

i know a guy that has the 35" mtrs and beats the piss out of his rig on everything. they seem to hold up.

you can't get much better than creepys for rocks

yea if you can afford creepy crawlers id get those (i think theyre more expensive but im not sure dont quote me on that). BFG MTs are pretty decent but id get those not the MTRs i dont really like MTRs that much theyre more expensive than BFGs anyway

I've personally been planning on getting the maxxis creepy's as well when I swap axles but the $400 ea. price tag gets to me. Has anyone heard of, seen, or used Pitbull Rocker tires? Less sidewall protection than the creepy's but an extremely aggressive looking lug pattern.

Ive heard good and bad about the pitbulls. Thye seem to work like crap at anything above 10lbs. so beadlocks may be required to get decent traction out of them.pirate has a couple good threads about them. I think im going to try the 33's when my bighorns wear out.

Love my MTR's. All i do is rock and some snow, they have held up great. I am on my second set(35's) in 5 years and have yet to split a sidewall.

im running 33in MTR's and they are the best on the rocks, and they still work great in the mud. awsome sidewall strength and they conform pretty well too. oh and there really quite on the road for a mud terain.

I have been running Micky Thompson MTZ they are a good tire they bite and claw there way through mud, dirt, and rock the only down fall that I have expearianced is that I have slid off a few rocks and came real close to rolling down the hill. Also I have put a lot more street miles on them than I would have liked and I still have over 1/2 tread with around 13k to 15k miles. Also the "side biters" love to craw up curbs and rocks alike.

FordGuy said:
Toyo M/T are killer but not cheap, Maxxis Bighorns are great for the money.
Good tire but you will need a 10" rim. Mine measure 14"+ in width.

My friend's MTRs got punctured quite often out here in the desert. But desert plant life is really tough. My Dunlop Mud Rovers have been alright. They were fairly inexpensive as well. I've heard lots of good about Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. Supposed to be good for mud and rock both.

My old MT/Rs did great on the rocks both here in Colorado and in Moab - climbed up whatever I pointed them at.I wasn't too impressed with them in the snow though.

I do mostly rocks and I'm on my 3rd set of MT/Rs if that says anything. Each time it was to upgrade to a larger size, not because they wore out. After my second set I switched to TrXus MT's - great mud tire (and grippy in the rocks) but I was not pleased with how poorly they balanced and sidewall strength was always a concern. I switched back to MT/Rs at that point and very happy again.

Back