• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting with fusion

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Can some one show me some threads about painting fender flares with Krylon Fusion? I bought a couple cans today since every time i am at wal mart they never have it. This time they did:D

I have done it, don't know about any threads, I just pop off the flares, and painted then on the parking lot where I use to live. I have since learned and you might try before you paint that paint solvents will removed the bad plastic and leave you with the original color. I would recommend trying this first, as the fusion will chip around the edges. The taking off and putting back on has caused them to want to fall off now, a few years later, and I am working on that now. The paint solvent will only remove the top layer of rubber and plastic, the layer that is sun damaged. The fusion will have the same problem after a few years of sun. I will say that the paint solvent should be ok as the modern clear coat if very strong and many layers. I learned about this idea for fixing window seals and plastics from my wifes cousin who owns a body shop.

thanks man i will look into that

sand with 600 grit paper just enough to ruff up the surface, spray from 8-12 inches away, and dont stop moving while you are still on the piece you are painting. same rules for all spray paint jobs :D

i'd like to see how it comes out, as im thinking of doing the same thing with my rear flares. post pics in the picture showcase when you are done!

Yeah, 600 grit or higher is the right thing, you just want enough to smack the shine of it but not gouge into it. Make sure it is REALLY CLEAN before you sand, and REALLY CLEAN after you sand. Finally make sure you get the same level of glossy/shiny coverage everywhere with no rough spots because all that stuff will still be there when it's dry.

Back