• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE measurement thingy...

asp

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone that has the $170 PORC SYE installed give me a measurement as to how far (front to back with respect to the jeep) the flat mounting surface of the yoke is from the surface of the TC. i just ordered my SYE and i'm trying to figure out how long my DS needs to be. i want to be able to use a front shaft from an xj with an aw4 but i don't know for sure yet. thanks in adance. here's a pic of the SYE for reference, so you know which one i'm talking about...

PORC%2052231.jpg

good luck, yours is a 5spd right, i can get a measurment off mine when i goto lunch at work i think it was 36" i went to a j/y and just looked at all the shafts i think a grand cherokee front work, illl get details on the year. its smaller diameter than a cherokee front, how high are you lifting it?

Last edited:
thanks dude. yeah mine is 5spd. hmm we'll see. the cherokee front is small as it is. i planned on going to a JY too. which one did you go to? i'm going to about 3" right now, but soon after 4.5ish maybe a little more. i'm buying travis's 34" ltb's hopefully by the end of the summer.

Last edited:
Let me know what you find! I have a 231 t-case, ax-15 trans, 4.5" of lift and will probably be going to a porc sye when I get my 8.8 installed. I am currently still running the stock slip yoke/drive line right now with no vibes, but I think that will change with the 8.8. BTW, my xj is an 85 on paper, but has 93 drivetrain.

for reference, mine is a 98 with a 8.25. i have less than 2" lift right now, but still have vibes. pretty sure i have the really short output shaft.

Love2Ride450 said:
Let me know what you find! I have a 231 t-case, ax-15 trans, 4.5" of lift and will probably be going to a porc sye when I get my 8.8 installed. I am currently still running the stock slip yoke/drive line right now with no vibes, but I think that will change with the 8.8. BTW, my xj is an 85 on paper, but has 93 drivetrain.

I run an ax15/231/8.8 at 4.25" lift, dont get vibes but i also have very little splineage left in the slip yoke.

I have an SYE at home to throw in, just havent gotten to it yet.

asp387 said:
thanks dude. yeah mine is 5spd. hmm we'll see. the cherokee front is small as it is. i planned on going to a JY too. which one did you go to? i'm going to about 3" right now, but soon after 4.5ish maybe a little more. i'm buying travis's 34" ltb's hopefully by the end of the summer.

i went to standard in worcester they had a whole shelf to choose from, im also at 5 inches, and the measurement is 36"

from what I remember when I did this, a front DS out of a cherokee with the 4.0 and auto tranny will work (because the auto tranny is longer than the manual, and the 4.0 is longer than the 2.5L). This basically makes the front shaft longer because the front output shaft on the TC is physically further away from the D30.

It will only work in an XJ setup with the auto tranny, 231, and Chrysler 8.25" rear axle, because, again, the auto tranny is longer, which effectively shortens the rear shaft length, and the 8.25" pinion is about an inch longer than the D35, which shortens the distance the rear shaft has to span. This makes it pretty close to the same length as the front shaft.

I have the PORC SYE, and while I was waiting on a new shaft to be built, I swapped my front shaft to the rear, and it fit like it was made to be there from the factory. I have a 99 XJ with about 5" lift, 4.0L, 231, auto tranny, and chrysler 8.25" rear axle.

I am not certain on other possible combinations, but this is what I remember when I was researching it, and this is what worked for me.

NCCherokee said:
from what I remember when I did this, a front DS out of a cherokee with the 4.0 and auto tranny will work (because the auto tranny is longer than the manual, and the 4.0 is longer than the 2.5L). This basically makes the front shaft longer because the front output shaft on the TC is physically further away from the D30.

It will only work in an XJ setup with the auto tranny, 231, and Chrysler 8.25" rear axle, because, again, the auto tranny is longer, which effectively shortens the rear shaft length, and the 8.25" pinion is about an inch longer than the D35, which shortens the distance the rear shaft has to span. This makes it pretty close to the same length as the front shaft.

I have the PORC SYE, and while I was waiting on a new shaft to be built, I swapped my front shaft to the rear, and it fit like it was made to be there from the factory. I have a 99 XJ with about 5" lift, 4.0L, 231, auto tranny, and chrysler 8.25" rear axle.

I am not certain on other possible combinations, but this is what I remember when I was researching it, and this is what worked for me.

It will not however work for a 5spd, which is what the question in this thread is about.

XBoBJ said:
i went to standard in worcester they had a whole shelf to choose from, im also at 5 inches, and the measurement is 36"
thanks. did you have to have it lengthened at all? i assume you used a GC front shaft. wj or zj? is there even a difference? ...silly GC's:rolleyes:

asp387 said:
thanks. did you have to have it lengthened at all?

nope fit right in perfectly ill get the year jeep it came out of.... there was a couple more there the same size, again its for 5"s also it would be cheaper to get a tj d/s shortened instead of an xj lenghtend

CONGRATS ON BEING RED ALSO!!! check out the den, jeep cherokee thread go back like 2 or 3 pages theres some sweet pics in there

Last edited:
hmm maybe i'll just go right to 5" then. hehe.

thanks!! and will do

I just measured my boss's rear driveshaft yesterday. He's got a D35 with 5-speed, 7" longarm and had 36" cap/cap measurements. Scared me until I remembered that he had a manual, and I've got an auto (and 8.25).

AW4 useds driveshafts taht are in the 33-34" range. It's nice only having to carry 1 spare shaft. :) Longarms and he still has a D35 tsk tsk... Must be a mall crawler. :)

you know him? :-D the last time his XJ was offroad... last July at a Jeep Show, it went on the obstacle course. but, I don't think it did the rock garden, just the flex mounds and the hill climb.

whatevah said:
I just measured my boss's rear driveshaft yesterday. He's got a D35 with 5-speed, 7" longarm and had 36" cap/cap measurements. Scared me until I remembered that he had a manual, and I've got an auto (and 8.25).

what's the difference in pinion length between 8.25 and d35? i would assume the 8.25 is longer, being a more stout axle. if 5spd with d35 on 7" and 5spd with 8.25 on 5" require the same length, that makes me think the 8.25 has a shorter pinion yoke...

i dunno. i will probably go with the same shaft as XBobJ... what were the compressed and extended lengths of your shaft from the GC?

The 8.25 has a longer pinion than a D35.

I don't believe there is a much of a difference in the case lenght between the 5spd and the auto. If you put a 99' 5spd D35 rear shaft next to a 99' auto 8.25 rear shaft, the 5spd D35 shaft is longer by about 1.5".

When I looked for a replacement DS for my 98' I found that early 90's units were too long even when outfitted with the same equipment.

where did you get the measurements for the 8.25/5sp/5" for? I don't see them in this thread, unless xboxj has a 8.25. Yes, the 8.25" pinion yoke is about an inch closer compared to a D35.

i'm pretty sure xbobj has a 8.25. i've seen him in passing a handfull of times and we are both affiliated loosely (ie, too lazy to be paid yet) with the same local club.

Back