• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" lift with 32"x10.5" tires?

dneitzling

NAXJA Forum User
I am pretty new to NAXJA, but already I have fixed many problems on my Jeep and learned so much. I have a 98' Classic that was stock. To enter the realm of offroading I put a cheap 2" lift with shackles/blocks and spacers on with 30x9.5 tires. With that lift, my rear sway bar removed and disconnects for my front sway bay, I think with some fender trimming and some wheel spacers I could be able to fit 32x10.5 tires on. Is this an unwise way of looking at getting bigger tires on? Is it stupid to have 32s and not have the travel of a 3"-4.5" lift (or armor for that matter)? I'm just rying to figure out what should be next on my list of things to do to my rig (bigger tires?, armor?, a real lift?). Thanks for your time guys,
-Dan

I have the Rustys 3 inch Full Pack kit. I love it and it was the 1st thing that I bought for my XJ. It is like an addiction no matter what lift and tires you get you will always want something a little more. If you have the money and time then go for a "real" lift. But other wise a budget boost is a good way to start.

As far as the 32's go if you do enough trimming and work with the bumpstops a little then you can fit the 32's. Would I do it? Probably not but my XJ is also my Daily Driver and I like to have it look pretty even as far as lift and tire size.

Good Luck

dneitzling said:
I am pretty new to NAXJA, but already I have fixed many problems on my Jeep and learned so much. I have a 98' Classic that was stock. To enter the realm of offroading I put a cheap 2" lift with shackles/blocks and spacers on with 30x9.5 tires. With that lift, my rear sway bar removed and disconnects for my front sway bay, I think with some fender trimming and some wheel spacers I could be able to fit 32x10.5 tires on. Is this an unwise way of looking at getting bigger tires on? Is it stupid to have 32s and not have the travel of a 3"-4.5" lift (or armor for that matter)? I'm just rying to figure out what should be next on my list of things to do to my rig (bigger tires?, armor?, a real lift?). Thanks for your time guys,
-Dan

I did a 4.5" lift and 32" tires. I need to trim and/or bumpstop before I can do any serious flexing. I already poped one fender trim almost off once.

IMO, low COG and big tires is the way to go. i ran 31x10.5's on stock for a while. you'll be more stable. just don't be afraid to use a BFH and a grinder or sawzall. i'm soon to be going to 34" ltb's on about 3.5"-4." you can fit whatever you need to, as long as you cut enough... besides, what's all that sheet metal really there for anyway? :gee:

If you cut, use a Dremel or hacksaw and do the cut and fold method. You make a set of radial cuts out from the fender line, and fold the little pieces back. If you search here and Jeepforum you should find tutorials. A lot of people will say "use a Sawzall" or "use a grinder"... But it seems to me that all a heavy duty machine does it make it easier to mess up. And I know for a fact that a lot of people have used a Dremel and spent less than an hour on the job.

I don't think it's a bad way of fitting big tires. I might have done that if I wanted to cut a lot... it really helps looks to have a smaller lift and big tires, vs a big lift and small tires. Look at the lift setup thread on JF. A lot of guys have 3.5" or 4.5" on 31s. You can judge for yourself whether it looks good.

You will probably get bad gas mileage with 32" tires.

we drive bricks, bad gas mileage is expected... i used a grinder and it was quick. came out a little messy. doesn't really bother me though.

I just did my rears yesterday. I also used the cut and fold method. I was gonna cut them clean around the fender so I could put some trim on, but that wasn't gonna work out so plan B it was!

Why not use trim with the cut and fold?

And bricks don't have to get bad gas mileage. Look at Volvos. Of course if you drive around with a roof rack, light bar, etc, you will get 11mpg, but don't blame the Jeep

agreed on why not use the cut and fold.

i suppose "bad" is relative. i'm ok with getting a little less than 20 but most people consider that bad mileage.

Bas mileage at 20!! I get 12 on a good day.....

Of course, cracks in exhaust manifolds do have a negative effect on mileage.....

Cut and fold, when done right shouldn't have much effect on body rigidity. If you are worried about chassis flex, go and get frame rail stiffeners.....(Or a cage)

To get back to the OP. Personally I would armour first (so you dont break stuff) as stock will get you pretty far, i would just be nervous about the undersides. Standard skids/rocker rails. and then lift, and then tires.

I say do whatever you want. It's your Jeep and you can build it how you want. Just do the research before you waste money so you can be ahead in the long run.

To answer your question, go with body protection. I'm only running 31"s and my AJ's super rails and other skids have saved me from major damage. Gives you peace of mind when you need it most.

Here's the problem with the cut an fold method. The paint chips away at the fold leading to rust problems. I used a dremel to cut away 2 inches of sheetmetal to fit 33s on 4.5 inches. It looks great. Take your time, don't rush through it, and apply door trim molding to the fenders that you cut. It gives it an almost factory looking finish.

There is a dude named KTMracer that is running 37's on 4 inches of lift. He cut a lot of steel away to make room for those big meats

his rig is insane.

IMG_6580.jpg

perhaps he'll chime in...

Hey, thanks a lot for your input guys. It's really got me thinking about my next move. I do think I need to get some rock rails and a nice bumber first, and then up my lift a little before I get 32s on.

I'm getting ready to do this next week. First, define 32x11.50... The BFG MT's that are going on the XJ are certainly not the same size as the Interco SSR's on my TJ, they are actually 1.5" smaller in diameter.
I'm using a Rubicon spring set in the front with a 3/4" coil spacer, (free!), and an extended shackle and 1" block in the rear, (almost free!). The rear fenders will be cut and fold, after seeing 2 of my own and numerous others develop rot at the pinch seam when most of it was cut away, I can't recommend just cutting, but it also depends on your locale. The front will be seeing complete removal of the stock flare and trimming up to the edge of the fenderwell liner, then I will have to fabricate some flares or perhaps toss on the TJ fronts just laying about collecting dust.
Also, if uptravel needs to be limited, Daystar makes a nice new product that mounts to your shocks to help keep tires out of the fenders for cheap. Worth a look.
Good luck, and please tell us how it turns out.
Boats:us:

if your rear springs are sagged and flexy at all, DO NOT USE THE BLOCK. you will get axle wrap and bad things can happen. like your axle moving on the leaf spring.

Back