• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swaps

Eisenherz

NAXJA Forum User
Ok yahoo/google suck for links. I'm looking for options as far as direct drop-ins if any. Or other motor/crate motors that will fit in (nice and neat :flipoff: ) an 89 cherokees engine compartment. Yes Ive browsed the threads for the last 15 minutes, didnt take long for me to crack.

Dont get me wrong I love my 4.0 straight 6 !

Thanks

Kitsap, WA? If so, welcome neighbor :sunshine:. About the only "drop in" performance mototr is a stroker. not sure if youve read about them at all, but the ycome in al lkinds of variety, 4.5-5.0 Litre. Titan builds them if you dont want to build it yourself. You can build a really budget 4.5 stroker for about a $1000. If yours is an automatic, then thats about the easiest option. The AX-15 has an adapter that you can buy from advance adapters for a SBC, but thats pretty i ndepth as far as the swap goes. Other NAXJA members have done SBC swaps or a 4.3 V6 swap using a Chevy Turbo 350 or a 700R4. Another member o nhere put a GC 318/auto combo i nhis Cherokee. Hope this info helps.

The 4cyl 2.5L is a direct swap, I happen to have a real nice one coming out of an 88 with 92k and all the wiring and accessories with it.

Would make a nice upgrade for your 6cyl 4L.

Eisenherz said:
thanks the info does help.

why go from 6 to 4 cyl.?

He's just jerking your chain, you dont wanna go from a Straight Six with good power to a gutless four banger. :rof:Is your Jeep an auto or stick?

zluster said:
You tell me, your the one wanting simple easy bolt in engine swaps. :)

Dude, take it easy on him, im sure he's just curious about Jeep performance. :twak:

IIRC the AMC V8 has the same bolt pattern as the 4.0 I6 so you could make them work. It won't be a 'bolt in' deal but not to difficult.

jmop said:
IIRC the AMC V8 has the same bolt pattern as the 4.0 I6 so you could make them work. It won't be a 'bolt in' deal but not to difficult.
as i recall, there is a problem with the flexplate, i think you have ot use a felxplate off of a 360. also, find a way to make the AW4 (if automatic) work. you could use the AWshifting.

Back