• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

External D30 Seals

dlarrivee

NAXJA Forum User
Everyone has seen these external seals rebadged and sold by every other company...

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alloyusa-axleseals.html

My question is... Do other axles such as the HP D44 found in Ford pickups, or D60s not need something like this, do they already have something in place...

Or are these even useful or necessary for a D30, or are they just an easy mod for posers?

frend of mine runs em in his tj ...they work awesome
actually have a set new in the box id sell fairly cheap say 65 shipped and im only sellin em due to the fact i bought dana 60s

actually bought a new set for the 60s too

Last edited:
I have some Superior axle tube seals. Without the axle tube seals, water carrying mud and silt can flow through the axle tube all the way to the seals right outside of your differential housing. The little plastic thing that came on the axle from the factory will only keep larger bits of junk from entering the axle tube. My plastic "things" were not very snug against the axle tube in the first place. When I rebuilt the axle I put the axle tube seals on for some cheap insurance. They are the sh*t. Oh, and I try to stay away from the poser crap...not enough money laying around for anything that isn't useful in some way or another! I think this is a worthwhile mod.

BTW, the above was for a D30. I don't know what the other axles you mentioned have.

I obviously know what they do and what they are for... What I really want to know is, what do D44s and D60s use? I don't see anything like this for sale for them, so they must do it better somehow.

I call them major "bling",minor debris is no problem as long as the moisture can drain away.These things will allow water to get in but not drain away!

dlarrivee said:
Or are these even useful or necessary for a D30, or are they just an easy mod for posers?

Oh, sorry...I thought you were asking a question...obviously never mind then.

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
I call them major "bling",minor debris is no problem as long as the moisture can drain away.These things will allow water to get in but not drain away!

Yes, they will allow water in if you don't grease them regularly. They work pretty good up here in the soggy Pacific Northwest if you maintain them. Ungreased, they are nothing but, as you say, bling.

couldn't say what other axles use/need, but if you do mud, sand or water... they're a nice investment to keep your axle tubes clean. I was replacing ujoints and found a 1/2" of mud/sand in my D30 tubes. I've now got Alloy USA seals packed with marine-grade grease.

I almost bought the alloy usa seals, Im putting alloy usa axles in my d30 and they dont come with the little plastic shield. It doesnt seem safe to run with the end of the axle wide open. Even with good inner seals, just seems better to have some outer protection.

Im going to run with out outer seals and see how it goes. Id like to hammer off the stock plastic caps and use them on my new axles.

I like them for two reasons:
1. They DO keep the water and mud out if well greased
2. If you break an axleshaft INSIDE the splines of the diff on the trail, you can pull the rest of the inner axle, put the outer stub back in, tape up a socket and slip it into the alloy seal (to seal up the hole) and drive it home. Once home THEN dis-mantle the whole front axle and put the diff on a bench to remove the remaining broken piece in the splines.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW ABOUT #2...

A.

dlarrivee said:

Didn't miss it, I just didn't respond to your other question in my last post.....

To answer your other question, there is no room for the alloy seals on an HPD44 front, the axleshaft/u-joint clearance is much tighter on a D44 front axle. I don't know enough about D60's though, maybe someone else can weigh in on that part.

i do alot of mudding, and when i replaced my d30 seals due to a leak i pushed a rag thru from the inside out with a broomstick and pushed a 4" long turd out the end of the axle tube. im waiting to hit the mud again till a set of these gets in my budget.

basically, if you wheel in water/mud/nasty stuff that takes more than just the hose to rinse off, its a good buy. if most of your wheeling is dry roads and rocks dont bother.

GrimmJeeper said:
if most of your wheeling is dry roads and rocks dont bother.

They are Bling. But the nice anodized red aluminum is pretty.

dlarrivee said:
I know what they do, and what they are for... Did you miss the question part of my post?

Dude, you asked if they were useful or even necessary. That is a question. If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question. Perhaps you should review your list of questions before you get bent out of shape when someone doesn't answer THE question that you most wanted answered. I don't know you, or your level of knowledge. Good luck to ya chief.

Back