• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front tow hooks n wj tie rod?

OZNAD

NAXJA Forum User
i got 2 hooks from tractor supply the other day and would like to mount them on the frame/unibody behind the bumper...kind of in the wheel well... anyway im not sure how exactly to mount them to the frame solidly.. should i put a bolt through one of the existing frame holes and drill another hole to put the other bolt through? or should i have 1 bolt and weld it also?? hhaa hha ha any ideas are appreciated.. im trying to get these on my xj by saturday morning... and i also understand that a wj or zj tie rod is stronger and compatible for a cherokee.. what year grand? any mods to fit it? thanks​

You will need to plate the unibody around where you install the hooks. You can't just slap them on there. The unibody will crack unless you re-enforce it.

Tow hook brackets can be had for cheap too. Then all you have to do is bolt them up instead of making your own.

Go with the c4x4 tow hook brackets. JeepinOutfitters.com has them for 75 bucks. They are very well built and powdercoated. I will be throwing mine on saturday. They also come with tow hooks

OZNAD said:
i also understand that a wj or zj tie rod is stronger and compatible for a cherokee.. what year grand? any mods to fit it? thanks​
I'ts the mid to late 90's zj tie rod you're looking for. Try the salvage yard or rockauto.com

FlexdXJ said:
Go with the c4x4 tow hook brackets. JeepinOutfitters.com has them for 75 bucks. They are very well built and powdercoated. I will be throwing mine on saturday. They also come with tow hooks

Before you spend $75, go to the salvage yard and see if you can find any. The last set I got was about $15.

Back