• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu 2" coil and leaf springs?

winkosmosis

NAXJA Forum User
Not many folks seem to use Old Man Emu 2" springs. I was going to go with the Teraflex 1.5" budget boost. Now I'm considering buying the light duty coils and leafs ($375 total) rather than the $750 kit, and using my stock shocks, maybe upgrading them later. Will this work? Do the OME springs give more than 2"? I'm hoping to avoid that by using the light load springs. Am I missing anything? Do brake lines need to be extended? Sway bar end links?

Anyone have experience with these springs? Can I expect exactly 2"?

The reason I'm doing only 2" is I don't want to have to get an SYE, and I'll be doing virtually no offroading until I move out of Houston.. So 2" and 31" tires will do for now.

Leafs http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_510.htm
Coils http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_930.htm

Flame suit on!
:flame:

BTW, the search turns up nothing when you enter "old man emu" or even "OME"

Last edited:
I used these springs, but I think the kit I got was medium duty springs with this kit:

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/XJ_OME_Kits.htm

The kit I got inclused 2" shackles and and JKS Acos adjustable spacers for a total of ~3.5" lift. the kit also came with longer shocks. I have no issue with vibration on my 99 with this setup but your milage may very...
The prings do work quite well, the ride is very good, and they haven't settled much in the 2 years I've had them.

You might as well go with the 3" kit from DPG Offroad. It's only 20 bucks more. I have a 99' with the same kit and I shimmed and did the t-case drop and have had no problems. You will probably have clearance and rubbing issues at 2" w/ 31's. At 3" and 31's it works perfect for me...

I don't want to do a t-case drop. A 3" lift with a 1" t-case drop is equivalent to a 2" lift with no drop right? Or does the angle of the lowered t-case come into play?

scat, the 3" kit you are talking about uses the same 2" springs plus longer shackles and spacers?

If I can get 31" tires, go flareless, and not rub on the street and trail with sway bars connected, that's good enough... And considering I can use my old shocks, it will be cheap. About $600 including labor vs $2000+ for a taller lift and all it entails... More money left for recovery points, armor, etc.

Last edited:
they won't be. What is your budget for this? I would reccomend getting the full OME 3" kit from somebody, comes with Leaves, shocks, and coils.
I'm running that with a 2" shackle and a 1.75" spacer in the front. It's very flexy for my 33s

OME springs are Verry nice, i run medium duty Front and rear, yes your going to get exactly 2" out of them and they dont sag! I have 2.5" upfront because i have 2 stock isolators stacked on each spring, and i have 2" on the nose in the rear, going to do 1" shackle to have it sit where i want. Ride is as best as you can hope for out of an XJ. If you not looking for any more then say 3.5-4 inches in the long run (ACO and the OME "add" extra full main plus shackels would do it probably that's my plan when i can get a new DD any way) the springs are worth it.

Oh and almost forgot go DPG Off Road for the OME stuff, Dirk knows his stuff and will sell you what you want, not what he thinks gives him profits best.

Last edited:
winkosmosis said:
If I can get 31" tires, go flareless, and not rub on the street and trail with sway bars connected, that's good enough... And considering I can use my old shocks, it will be cheap. About $600 including labor vs $2000+ for a taller lift and all it entails... More money left for recovery points, armor, etc.

You'll be able to disconnect the swaybars front and rear and have room for uptravel.

Lift height doesn't matter. All that matters is where you stop the uptravel by bumpstopping properly. If you want more up travel, lift it more. If you want bigger tires, bumpstop it more. 31s on 2" of lift will rub just as much as 31s on 4" or 6" if you don't limit uptravel.

Oh yea, I have the 2" OME heavy duty springs. Netted me exactly 2" or just a touch under. Ride and flex are great, but they did rust out within a year pretty bad.

dopod said:
they did rust out within a year pretty bad.

Really? mine are about a year old and dont look any worse for wear from what you would expect from daily abuse.

Hmm, so should I expect exactly 2" from the light duty ones also? I've got no steel bumpers or anything like that. I guess they wouldn't say 2" unless they meant it, but it seems that spring makers can get away with extra lift

Well dont forget, retailers, not OME says 2". OME only claims them as a "Suspention Kits" and not "lift kits" they are to improve overall suspention performance, a small lift is only an added bonus. Personally i say stick with Medium duty, i dont have anything but stock bumpers and if i had light duty it would be too mushy. the light med and hd only refer to the spring rate any way, not the lift ammount.

winkosmosis said:
Can anyone confirm that the stock shocks will be long enough, without doing extreme flexing?

I ran stock shocks on a two inch lift for a couple months with no problems until I put my OME shocks on. I didn't do any off-roading during that time, but I don't think I would have had much problem if I had. You could use bar pin eliminators to regain some of the extension potential on the stock shocks that you lost with the lift. Check out the link.

http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp2.html

Last edited:
SeansBlueXJ said:
Well dont forget, retailers, not OME says 2". OME only claims them as a "Suspention Kits" and not "lift kits" they are to improve overall suspention performance, a small lift is only an added bonus. Personally i say stick with Medium duty, i dont have anything but stock bumpers and if i had light duty it would be too mushy. the light med and hd only refer to the spring rate any way, not the lift ammount.

Well I was thinking maybe the HD just compresses less and gives more lift.

How are the medium and light in relation to the stock springs?

basically your right the "heaver" the class the stiffer the rate, but no more lift they all sit about the same. light would be the most "flexy" but i have found the medium to be a wonderful ride and an definate improvement over stock. HD would be stiffer, and sag less under load, but lift the same.

I think they are worth it, just call up DPG first for prices they are normally reasonable and the most knowlageable about OME stuff i have found. And their customer service ist top notch, just be a little patient as they are a small business with lots of volume but they will get to you. I got most of my knowlage about my OME stuff from picking Dirk's brain when I was buying from him. I know he is here on the boards too ocassionaly as they have some XJ's.

SeansBlueXJ said:
I think they are worth it, just call up DPG first for prices they are normally reasonable and the most knowlageable about OME stuff i have found. And their customer service ist top notch, just be a little patient as they are a small business with lots of volume but they will get to you. I got most of my knowlage about my OME stuff from picking Dirk's brain when I was buying from him. I know he is here on the boards too ocassionaly as they have some XJ's.
Yikes.. have you looked at their Christianity page? Evolution is random chance? News to me.. I'm sorry, but I have no desire to pick his brain now.

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Are we and the world around us created by God, or just evolved by random chance?

[/FONT]
aleabul1.gif
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]What Evolutionists Don't Want You To Know[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Evolution is still believed by MANY people to be historical fact. Find out why Darwin's theories are completely wrong, and why macro-evolution simply cannot be true.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back