• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5 " on 33X10.5 BFG AT's

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have this set up? I currently have 33X12.5" tires and was wondering what it would look like with 33X10.5" tires. Was looking to increase fule economy.

I run 6" with 33x10.5 BFG MT's, 4.11 gears. I could tell you that the mpg is the same at when I had BFG AT's in the same size at about 14.5-16 on the high-way. Around town I don't even look but it's not my DD anymore. 4.0's are the best in fuel economy anyway not the mention the box size of XJ's. I think they look better than 12.5's if that counts for anything. Juice

I have a 87 XJ with 4.0 and 33 x 10.5 BFG ATs. I run stock wheels so the tires will stay under the flares. I just got 17.8 MPG on a 600 mile trip, mostly highway. I get about 15 in town.

96 XJ 6.5" and BFG M/T 31x10.5's on factory 7" alloys,4.0/5spd and 3:07's. I'm getting low 20's ...and no power on the 60mph highway's or hills:puke:

I have a '99 XJ Classic 4.0 with the Rubicon Express 5.5-6" lift and 33x10.5 BFG MT's on the stock alloy wheels. I think it looks very proportional (I don't particularly care for the fat tire look) and allows the tires to tuck into the wheel wells with minimal rubbing. My XJ has the K&N FIPK air filter kit but is otherwise stock and gets about 16mpg on the highway and 11-12mpg around town.

I've got a 91 Civic with 2" of drop. Makes for great fuel economy on the 91 XJ. :)

I have stock 3.55s and 33x1250x15 Hankook MTs on a 4.5" lift, and I got 17mpg on my last tank. Try changing your driving style. With a 6.5" lift you should be able to fit a bigger tire...if you wanted to. I could fit 35s right now on my 4.5" but I also have a lot cut for TJ flares.

Here are my thoughts on increased mpg.
1. switch to 33X10.5 tires becases I plan on adding lock out hubs and the tires will be spaced out 3/4 of an inch and it could increase fuel economy.
2. Fitch Catalyst.
3. Hypertech Econ.
4. better exhaust. (Not sure wich one to buy)

I allready have an Air Hog filter and my jeep is getting 17.5 MPG. With all the mods above I think I might get 20MPG. Has anyone seen the new article in JP magazine for the XJ built for street and trail? I think I am going to do a wright up on this but it could take a while because funds are low. I am still curious to see an XJ with 33/10.5 AT's and a 6.5" lift.

Thanks for the picks. What do you all think about my ideas?

chris420 said:
Here are my thoughts on increased mpg.
1. switch to 33X10.5 tires ($600) becases I plan on adding lock out hubs ($1k+) and the tires will be spaced out 3/4 of an inch and it could increase fuel economy.
2. Fitch Catalyst. - $176
3. Hypertech Econ. - $329
4. better exhaust. (Not sure wich one to buy)

Mods = ~$2k. At $4.10/gal, you could buy about 488 gallons of gas.

That is a LOT of money spent for very minimal MPG gains. 17.5 is pretty darn good for a lifted XJ, be happy with what you have. The $$ you spend on the catalyst and hypertech alone will take you years to make up with a couple more MPGs.

Exhaust is a good idea though.

EDIT: Back on the original topic, I run 33x10.5s on ~5" of lift.

HPIM1238.jpg

HPIM1176.jpg

Last edited:
Ya but gas is going up and not down. I like your XJ though. I have seen it before when I googled jeep cherokee. Thanks for the pic.

is there a advantage to the smaller with tire I have 33x12.50s with a 6.5 lift and was thinking of going with 33x10.50s it does great with what is on now but wondering of any disadvantages with the 10.50s how about a brand that has worked for you guys

Last edited:
Back